forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#621 Thu 20 Dec 12 9:06am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

I do most of my spice shopping in Asian shops. My guys are legends, and really helpful. I don't remember seeing that spice though. Will check them out though as I'm seeing them later as I need to make stock. They don't mind hacking a chicken into small bits for me.
Cheers mate.

Likes (0)

#622 Thu 20 Dec 12 11:08am

macca58

Member since Sun 12 Dec 10

Hi Jamie, I have an Australian question. When you say to rest the Christmas turkey for 2 hours, that sounds fine in England where it's cold but it is really ok to leave a turkey on the bench for 2 hours in Australia in summer??
Thanks for your shows and books,
have a Merry Christmas,
Fiona xx

Likes (0)

#623 Thu 20 Dec 12 4:13pm

anitataylor

Member since Sat 12 Dec 09

I cook my Turkey following Jamie's recipe cooking it on a trivet of vegetables and the giblets, then mashing the veg etc after the turkey has cooked to make the gravy, but this year I can't find where I put the recipe and can't find it on Channel 4OD.  It seems all the recipes for gravy are his 'get ahead' one with using chicken wings.  I also liked this episode as he showed us how to carve the turkey by removing the breast whole, which I have seen him do since, but I still want to watch the episode regarding the gravy!! I think it would be about 2006? Any ideas on how to get this please?

Likes (0)

#624 Thu 20 Dec 12 6:21pm

beannie

Member since Thu 20 Dec 12

hi jamie
not so much a cooking question but an offer of a nice home cooked meal next time your in and around salisbury.
as a chef i think you would,nt get many invites only to those posh stuck up evenings.
im a home cook and love cooking and everything on tv which you do i have on time record (oh and always on a diet) never trust a thin chef as they dont try there own food but will have a break on that evening smile
so im inviting you
many thanks.
mazz big_smile

Likes (0)

#625 Thu 20 Dec 12 7:11pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

TerryKay wrote:

I've seen a recipe using Bitter Gourd (Bitter Melon or Karela) and one of the ingredients is Asafoetida (Hing). Can anyone that has had experience with it, tell me about it and a possible substitute?
Thanks. crossed

Terry , its usually in a little yellow plastic pot and often on a shelf away from the hanging packets of spice in the Indian food stores, its not an uncommon spice .Its not very expensive and lasts a long time.
There is no substitute as far as far as I know and ts pretty pungent , only use a tiny amount.

Likes (0)

#626 Fri 21 Dec 12 2:49am

cook11uk

Member since Fri 21 Dec 12

Jamie - hoping to cook the Jerk ham hocks but couldn't find them in the butchers (not for sale at Smithfields apparently) so settled for pork shanks from Morrisons!  Thing is I have soaked them in cold water today but suddenly thought - how do I tell if they're cured? - it didn't say they were on the pack so presume they are 'raw'.  I did not refrigerate them, they were just in cold water all day.  Should I use them or not.  If so do I follow the recipe as it is whether they are cured or not?  Confused!!

Likes (0)

#627 Fri 21 Dec 12 10:43am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

macca58 - I'm not a food scientist, but I really don't see a problem there. Even in the UK a turkey rested for 2 hours is still hot when you eat it, and a higher ambient temperature will mean it will hold its heat for longer.

If it really bothers you, leave a meat thermometer in it so you can monitor the temperature - as long as it stays above 60C, it's out of the danger zone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_zon … _safety%29); if it drops below, the rule is it shouldn't be kept at that temp for more than 4 hours. And you don't have to rest for the full 2 hours if you're not happy with that, 1 will do.

Make sure you refrigerate leftovers immediately after carving. I would say get leftover meat off the bone and cover with stock or gravy before refrigerating, it will make it cool down faster and stop it drying out. It freezes well like that, too.

anitataylor - the recipe you're looking for is Consistently Good Gravy from Ministry of Food. The search function on the website isn't working right now, and Google's index of the site is out of date (they seem to have rearranged it in the last few days) so I don't know if it's available online or not.

But basically, once you've taken the meat off to rest, you spoon off most of the fat, then put the pan on the heat. Add a dessert spoon of flour, stir in and then mash up the veg with a potato masher. Then add a bit of booze and some stock and stir it over the heat to get all the crusty bits off the pan and thicken it up. Then you strain it, simmer more if it needs thickened more, correct the seasoning and bob's you're uncle. It's really more of a technique than a recipe.

Likes (0)

#628 Fri 21 Dec 12 10:54am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

cook11uk - what colour are they? Uncured pork is somewhere between pale pink and a dull red. Cured is usually a more vivid reddish pink. You could always cut a bit off, fry it and taste it to see if it tastes more like pork chops or more like bacon.

My hunch would be that "pork shanks" are uncured, but I can't be sure. If they're uncured, the seasoning in the recipe will need corrected (add more salt) and the cooking time might be wrong too. If you decide to go ahead, check regularly for readiness and be ready to cook for less or more time than the recipe says. Your alternative is to Google a recipe for "pork shanks".

Edit to say I just realised you said you've had them in cold water all day, out of the fridge. I don't know if it's safe to use them or not - does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Last edited by hippytea (Fri 21 Dec 12 10:57am)

Likes (0)

#629 Fri 21 Dec 12 11:58am

Khun

Occupation Food Technologist
From The Netherlands
Member since Sat 19 Feb 05

macca58 wrote:

Hi Jamie, I have an Australian question. When you say to rest the Christmas turkey for 2 hours, that sounds fine in England where it's cold but it is really ok to leave a turkey on the bench for 2 hours in Australia in summer??
Thanks for your shows and books,
have a Merry Christmas,
Fiona xx

Hi Fiona,

Hippytea is right! Remember that when your turkey is cooked it also means that your turkey is sterile! So there's no bacteria, moulds or whatever in/ on the turkey when you take it out of the oven.

As long as the turkey is above 60 degree Celsius your meat is safe and remains free of (most) bacteria. But I assume the turkey is quite big (we don't have big turkeys here in the Netherlands) and that it will take a long time for the temperature to drop below 60 degree Celsius.

When the temperature drops below 60 degree Celsius bacteria and moulds start to settle on the turkey again and start to grow. How does it get contaminated?: air and direct contact (hands, knives, plates and such). Just make sure the tools you use are clean and the kitchen area where you let your turkey rest is clean. Don't worry too much though, it takes millions of bacteria per square cm to make you ill and only a small percentage of the bacteria and moulds are capable to do that (and are easily outmatched by those that don't make you ill, but give a 'weird' / rotten flavour to the meat).

Make sure that you don't leave the leftovers too long out of the fridge however. Leftovers are generally cut to smaller pieces (and thus contaminated via the knives, plates, hands and such) and most bacteria love temperatures of about 15-35 degree Celsius. So make sure you cool them quickly.

Greetz

Likes (0)

#630 Fri 21 Dec 12 12:36pm

Dianne Rippon

Member since Wed 14 Nov 12

Hi There,
Viewed Jamies' Christmas in Queensland Australia last week where Jamie made snickers soft serve ice cream.  Can you please advise the recipe.  This is a treat I would like to make for Christmas Day.
Looking forward 
Cheers
Dianne smile

Likes (0)