#71 Tue 05 Jun 12 10:47pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Re: Ask me a cooking question

petrick wrote:

Hi Jamie, When I was a child my mother used to make "Kloese" which were flour balls cooked in milk, they were served with fruit compot, hot. (that's as much as I remember)

Unfortunately my interest in cooking only started about 39 years after she passed away.

Can you perhaps ask one of your German collueges for the recipe?

Enjoy the weekend !

Hi Petrick, at work they occasionally serve dumplings with fruit and vanilla sauce. It has a regional name which I cannot remember. I usually don't indulge as they are very filling whistle  I'll ask for the name at work and get back to you...

Likes (0)

#72 Tue 05 Jun 12 11:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

mr spice wrote:

petrick wrote:

Hi Jamie, When I was a child my mother used to make "Kloese" which were flour balls cooked in milk, they were served with fruit compot, hot. (that's as much as I remember)

Unfortunately my interest in cooking only started about 39 years after she passed away.

Can you perhaps ask one of your German collueges for the recipe?

Enjoy the weekend !

Hi Petrick, at work they occasionally serve dumplings with fruit and vanilla sauce. It has a regional name which I cannot remember. I usually don't indulge as they are very filling whistle  I'll ask for the name at work and get back to you...

German Yeast Dumplings Hefeklosse??
http://www.food.com/recipe/german-yeast … osse-86900

I'm just a frenchy 'collegue', hope that the above is what you are searching for ...

Likes (0)

#73 Wed 06 Jun 12 3:52pm

jamie

Chef
From Fifteen Restaurant, London
Member since Wed 24 Mar 04

janeoshea08@gma wrote:

Hi There,
have cooked your asian-style salmon from 30minute meals cook book many times and have enjoyed it cold the next day.Wondering about cooking it on a larger scale for my sons confirmation.If cooking 30 darnes at the same time,should I just multiply everything by 7(recipe is for 4),and for how long should I cook them?

Many Thanks,

Jane

Hi Jane

Glad that you like the recipe. Good question this one. You could increase the number but you would need to be really careful and keep checking the salmon when it is cooking in the oven. Make sure that you move it around to ensure that it is cooked properly. I would suggest not following the recipe step by step and perhaps making the salad and dessert whilst the salmon is cooking.

Good luck tiger!

J x

Likes (0)

#74 Wed 06 Jun 12 3:57pm

jamie

Chef

Miss GlutenFree wrote:

Hi Jamie,

So many great questions on here so far - I don't want to bombard you but can't resist the temptation to ask....
Have you ever tried to make gluten free pasta?
If you have, I would love your hints/tips as mine fail miserably every time and I end up resorting to using packet pasta. The packet stuff tastes good but I want to add "pasta maker" to my home-made meals resume..

Cheers!

Hi Miss Gluten free...
I have not tried to make gluten free pasta as yet but "never say never". I must admit I do get asked this question allot and because I am the inquisitive type (especially when it comes to food) I have been chatting to my good friend Sarah about Gluten free recipes (Sarah is one of my star members of the Food Team). She has suggested using a flour called Sorghum - have you tried that? If so please give it a go for making the pasta and let us know. I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers

Jamie x

Likes (0)

#75 Wed 06 Jun 12 4:12pm

jamie

Chef

essexlemon wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I have a couple of your books and used to use your pizza base recipe a fair bit (but we have a good Italian restaurant nearby now that is not too pricey so have been cheating).

One of my sons is possibly suffering from coeliac disease and my other son seems to be having trouble when I eat wheat (booby fed) so I'm thinking he could be the same.  hmm   So I need some gluten free options for them both.

Would the pizza base recipe still work if I used rice flour?  I'd like to stick to your recipe if I can since I know DH and I like it.

Also, do you have any simple ideas for a treat when the other kids get given sweets and stuff at playschool.  Flapjacks are out because of the oats and it really needs to be something that will store well as we don't get any warning so they need to be ready on hand (normally when one of the kids has a birthday they bring a treat for everyone).

Thanks in advance.

Oooh, just realised it is your birthday today.  Have a good one  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Hi there Essexlemon

I get quite a few questions about Gluten Free cooking - we have a forum thread here on the site dedicated to it and I am sure that the forum members can help you further:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28081

I was also chatting with Sarah (my friend from the Food Team) about Gluten free, she has emailed me a few recommendations below. Hope this helps.

"Well, for me the best 'all rounder' is rice flour. Buckwheat is good too but it has a stronger taste.  I have mixed it with other flours to make bread.

I only use corn/maze flour for thickening sauces and pancakes.

I also use Gram flour a lot, it makes good biscuits both salty and sweet. I have also heard that Sorghum flour is a very good "all rounder"

Likes (0)

#76 Wed 06 Jun 12 6:24pm

jamie

Chef

julieknight15 wrote:

Hi Jamie,

Nicely working through your 30 minute cook book and have a question regarding the Portuguese tarts.  I have made them 4 times now and I cant seem to get the caramel to set.  Even after leaving one overnight it still was not set.  Any clues as to what I am doing wrong?  Could it be the size of the orange as the amount of juice is different every time?  Thank you.  Jules  help

Hi Julie,

I love this recipe, one of my favourites! I think you may have hit the nail on the head in terms of the size of the orang, try using a smaller one. I also think that you may need to take a bit longer with this and ensure that the caramel turns a deep golden colour.

Hope it works out for you, let us know how you get on

Cheers

Jamie x

Likes (0)

#77 Thu 07 Jun 12 1:20am

aniecossart

Member since Thu 07 Jun 12

Hello Jamie,
thanks for your great work. Your recipes of healthy and organic meal are really very useful and I like to use them. A few day ago I watched 'Jamie Oliver's Food Escapes' Athens episode and found close similarity between Greek and Armenian food. I have no idea whether you have ever been in Armenia but I have been there twice and I have been impressed by their tasty and simply food. Unfortunately, I couldn't find good recipes in French or at least in English. I had tried some rices dishes with dried fruits that they call 'ghapama' and with meat called 'dolma' and loved them so much. Are you  familiar with their cuisine and can you help me to find out the right way to cook 'ghapama' or 'dolma'?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers from Paris!
Anie smile

Likes (0)

#78 Thu 07 Jun 12 10:51am

Debz13

Occupation Student
From Lancashire

Hi Jamie, im doing a course at college, VRQ in Professional Cookery, and have an exam coming up in a couple of weeks, 1 dish we have to include is poached egg on a crouton, how can i make this different ? everyone on the course is talking about there going to do a hollandaise sauce, but i want to something totally different and surprise Chef, any ideas would be very useful, thankyou in advance  big_smile
Debbie

Likes (0)

#79 Thu 07 Jun 12 10:55am

marricked

Hi mate,

What are your favourite, reasonably quick to make summer recipes?

And a quick question about curries - do you know if you are meant to fry the spices before adding any other ingredients? I've heard it's essential to do it however I don't want to make my curry too bitter by overcooking the spices. I occasionally upload pictures of what I've cooked to my Twitter (usually your recipes), feel free to follow me if you wish! www.twitter.com/ChrisRaperSmith

Hope you're well,

Chris

Last edited by marricked (Thu 07 Jun 12 11:11am)

Likes (0)

#80 Thu 07 Jun 12 11:03am

DCBlake

Hi! I'm new here. I'm a 21 year old with male with cooking as a hobby.  I'd want to learn how to make desserts and I'm thinking of making pie but I dont know how to bake. What kind of dessert are made by beginners. I'm thinking of pudding. Anyone has an easy recipe for pudding? And any advices for a successful first time at making pudding?

Likes (0)