forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#951 Mon 18 Mar 13 9:16am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Ask me a cooking question

Redfoxestonia - silicone is great when it works, but some silicon dishes are more non-stick than others. I would say you get what you pay for, except that my best ones are a set of boring-looking grey muffin moulds I got cheap from Tesco. So cheap silicone can be good, but it isn't all good.

What I love it for is freezing things, actually. Cheap or not, nothing sticks to it in the freezer. I use muffin moulds for freezing portions of liquids, and big silicone dishes for open-freezing things like berries or cooked beans. And it's not yucky, it's wibbly and hilarious!

amber - it's difficult to know what to suggest without knowing what you've cooked before - give us a few examples.

beerforyorky - I think I read somewhere that if you can cook an egg pointy-end downwards, the yolk will stay in the middle. That would mean having some kind of rack for boiling them in - but I'd guess they probably do use something like that in factories.

Last edited by hippytea (Mon 18 Mar 13 9:17am)

Likes (0)

#952 Mon 18 Mar 13 5:51pm

sheenagh.davis

Member since Mon 18 Mar 13

I need a really innovative, highly motivated chef/cook for our Family Centre, someone who can produce healthy meals for the children's nursery (get them while they are young) and the families who use our cafe.  Where do i advertise and what should i look for, we've had a couple of disasters, people who have the qualifications but no real feel for food.  We are also looking to use our cafe for fundraising for the charity so want to do some pop up events can you advise me on how to get someone who is an all rounder and will be able to cover these events or are they two different skills?

Likes (0)

#953 Mon 18 Mar 13 6:30pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

thanks for the answers, hmm. I might try cause I am curious. the info definately lessens my phobia towards silicone baking stuffs ... although a brush out of silicone for brushing bread surface still seems really odd.
I wonder what Jamie thinks of them?

Likes (0)

#954 Mon 18 Mar 13 6:43pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Ah, now, silicone brushes, they are AWESOME. No more stray bristles in your food, nice and big so quicker coverage (takes half the time to glaze a pie), much easier to keep clean, and they're heatproof. I use mine to grease my iron griddles - spreads it nice and thinly, and you can brush it over between pancakes to even out the grease so it doesn't collect in one corner.

I would highly recommend silicone brushes.

Likes (0)

#955 Tue 19 Mar 13 9:17am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Haven't really got anything in silicone, other than spatulas and tongs.  One thing I do have is silicone oven mits.  They're fabulous and really heatproof.  So easily washed and last forever.

Likes (0)

#956 Tue 19 Mar 13 10:16am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

hippytea wrote:

beerforyorky - I think I read somewhere that if you can cook an egg pointy-end downwards, the yolk will stay in the middle. That would mean having some kind of rack for boiling them in - but I'd guess they probably do use something like that in factories.

Interesting. I guess an open steel spiral type egg cup would work (which I don't have). Any egg cup that isn't open would bounce around during the boiling.

However, in looking up "egg cups" on Google. I found this:

http://blogs.babble.com/family-kitchen/ … -ham-cups/

Which looks very appetising.

Likes (0)

#957 Tue 19 Mar 13 10:18am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

beerforyorky wrote:

Hard Boiled Eggs.

If I buy commercially manufactured Scotch Eggs (which I can't here anyway) the yoke is always in the middle. I cannot boil eggs and keep the yoke in the middle. Is there a secret of which I'm unaware?

Cheers

Y

if you want centred yolks in a boiled egg,  just make sure to store them laying on their side instead of on point in the carton or rack.  I  forget how long you need to wait after you lay them on their side til they centre themselves though..   overnight is probably good.

Last edited by Ashen (Tue 19 Mar 13 10:22am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#958 Sat 23 Mar 13 9:04am

emma.stott.568

Member since Sat 23 Mar 13

hello I have just purchased a 100% ceramic round casserole. I was wondering if this can be used on the stove top too (for browning meat when making a one pot stew for example) or purely for baking in the oven?  The bottom of the casserole isnĀ“t glazed as the rest of it if that makes a difference?  help

Likes (0)

#959 Sat 23 Mar 13 10:10am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Emma, personally I wouldn't risk it (putting on top of the stove). You'd have the heat up relatively high and take the risk of it cracking/ shattering.

If you do take the risk, be sure to use a suitably sized heat diffuser/ heat diffusing mat.

Oh, and welcome to the forums wave smile

Last edited by Maree (Sat 23 Mar 13 10:12am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#960 Sat 23 Mar 13 1:25pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Hello Emma and welcome.

Didn't this new ceramic casserole have a label attached giving usage instrtuctions?  If the manufacturer's name appears on it somewhere, usually the bottom or a stuck-on label, contact them, or Google them.  You may find instructions there.

Likes (0)