forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 11 Jun 12 5:37pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

chocolate toothpaste dessert/tart

Has anyone had or heard of this before. I think it was served at school dinners and despite its name has no toothpaste in it   lol  I've no idea how it got its name i just stumbled across it watching a TV programme.
I think its from Bedfordshire (England)  Very simple, instant Chocolate powder, cocoa powder, dried milk, margarine, sugar and water in a flan case. Think i would put some raspberries in with mine...... stir any memories with anyone....  whistle   smile

Last edited by joobes (Mon 11 Jun 12 5:49pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 11 Jun 12 10:29pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: chocolate toothpaste dessert/tart

Seems 'known'  smile check below...the first may be the one you are looking for....

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/food … chool.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Chocolate-Toothpaste-Tart

http://www.mydish.co.uk/recipe/3976/Cho … Toothpaste

Why is it called toothpaste when theres no mint? I love minty tasting toothpaste.

Last edited by kye in france (Mon 11 Jun 12 10:33pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 11 Jun 12 11:51pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Definately not from Bedfordshire, & definately should have mint in it.

Our version at my boys' school was a biscuit crumb base, rather than pastry etc, & was a mint-chocolatey (almost a thick 'mousse') dessert either served with fruit (often bananas or grapes) or with a blob of 'cream' or ice-cream.
The kids loved it........
......me? It makes my teeth itch to think of how much sugar is in there!  lol

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 13 Jun 12 11:05am

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Sorry i wasn't ignoring you been away from computer for a bit.......

Kye the first reciepe is the one i found also and am thinking of making it.

minerva... so its not from Bedfordshire its just i read it on-line.. .. I had a feeling it should be minty, maybe there is some peppermint flavouring somewhere along the line, and i would imagine  biscuit base being really nice.

OK armed with all this i will put on my thinking cap and see what i come up with..
think

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 13 Jun 12 12:06pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

I have made it at home (years ago now).........to my own various takes on the original recipe.

I crush down plain choc digestives if I'm doing a milk/white choc mousse, or milk choc digestives if doing a plain choc mousse (the latter is much more 'grown-up').
If you want a topping & have stacks of boxes of 'After 8's' given you (they are too sweet to just eat them!)..........melt them & pour over the mousse.............with a cup of very rich roast coffee, it makes an indulgent dessert.
An elegant cousin to the school pud my lads enjoyed, I think!

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 13 Jun 12 9:55pm

Zacsmummy8

Member since Wed 13 Jun 12

Hi there
I'm from Luton in Bedfordshire and we had this tart at school. It was my favourite dessert and I've only just discovered what it's called so can't wait to make it. There was definitely no mint in our one just the chocolate paste mixture on top of the pastry with some sprinkles on...mmm! Maybe the original came from outside of Bedfordhire and had mint in but not the version we got in school!

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 14 Jun 12 1:12am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Is the mixture pushed out like toothpaste to go round in a spiral to fill the flan? I thought that would be the tooothpaste connection?
Or maybe you need to use some toothpaste after you have eaten it all!

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 14 Jun 12 11:52am

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

wave Hi Zacsmummy8 and welcome to the forum and thankyou foryour reply.infact thankyou to eveyone and your replies.

minerva.... i like the sound of what you do, dont have any afte eights (mores the pity) but i love the idea..

Joy....... its not pushed out like a tube its smooth and flat....... love what you say about needing toothpaste after eating it....  lol  good point.

well I will give this go, not sure if to use a biscuit base or not yet.. I still like the idea of raspberries on top or maybe a layer of sliced banana under the chocolate topping then some shavings of chocolate sprinkled on top for decoration.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 14 Jun 12 2:45pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It's sounds very similar to 'grasshopper' pie - for which there are many different recipes.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 14 Jun 12 4:42pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Just googled Grasshopper pie it, sounds better than the toothpaste dessert. Maybe because it has  peppermint liqueur or crème de menthe in it  whistle 
Ive founds an English recipe so i have the english measurements so i wont need to convert anything....  yummy

Likes (0)