Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 03 Nov 12 12:45pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: The deadly legacy of America's fields of gold

Pakman wrote:

It's a shame that Yudkin got the short end of the stick.

Here's a link that I posted in this thread already to a lecture given by Dr. Robert Lustig.
He's featured in the documentary several times.

Sugar: The bitter truth 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ

It's unfortunate that the documentary doesn't include his findings about how the liver processes alcohol, sucrose and glucose. It starts a min 46. But watch the whole vid.

I wonder what big business will twist this into next.   roll

Amazing video.  I always believed that "a calorie is just a calorie."  Boy was I wrong.

My experience with sugar is very recent.  I never had a sweet tooth.  I always believed myself to have a very healthy relationship with sugar.  I enjoyed fruit, I mostly passed on dessert and kept it only for special occasions.   You would never find sugary cereals, cookies or sweet snacks in my house.  I was never thin but I was healthy, I enjoyed exercise and felt generally in control of my food intake.

Then I had a baby.  While my pregnancy was very healthy and I did not gain weight (yes I'm serious), post partum was a different story all together.  I was determined to breastfeed my son.  Breastfeeding burns a lot of calories so they say - what they don't tell you is that breastfeeding makes you incredibly hungry as well.  It made me crave a lot of carbohydrates.  I would wake up in the middle of the night and hunt for cookies.  I'd never had cravings like that before.  Since I was home taking care of baby and nursing successfully I didn't think much about it.  My body was craving it and I thought it would be ok to indulge. 

In to the house came the cookies, the sugary snacks, the cereals.  I started baking things too.  My activity level dropped.  I know it sounds crazy but instead of gaining weight during pregnancy and losing it afterwards the opposite happened to me.  My son is a year and half now and the sugar addiction remains.  Not sure how to break it but I know I have to if I'm going to go back to being healthy like I was before. 

I have to be honest, sugar is like a drug.  I never believed that before but I know it now.  High fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING.  Even bread! It is so addictive and I have zero confidence in the american government to reduce the amount of fructose that is allowed into our food supply.   Not when it means so much moreney to them.  I don't mean to scare monger but I really do feel that they are poisoning us, keeping us sick, keeping us addicted to fructose so that they can sell more corn, keeping us sick so that we are more dependent on medical drugs.

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 04 Nov 12 2:12am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Poor Kou!
I can relate to that breast feeding hunger! It is the one time in my life when I ate a cream doughnut every time I went up the street!

Good luck in getting your healthy weight back. Motherhood makes such a difference, you are generally tired and needing something to help your energy and don't get the chance to be organised with healthy snacks. All power to you!

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 04 Nov 12 12:39pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Poor Kou!
I can relate to that breast feeding hunger! It is the one time in my life when I ate a cream doughnut every time I went up the street!

Good luck in getting your healthy weight back. Motherhood makes such a difference, you are generally tired and needing something to help your energy and don't get the chance to be organised with healthy snacks. All power to you!

You are so right, it's not just about the hunger itself.  It's also due to lack of sleep.  My son didn't start sleeping through the night until a few months ago.  I was up 4-5 times a night tending to him.  Lack of sleep is a major factor in any weight gain.  Activity level drops too because you're stuck at home all day, often the weather does not permit to take him out for walks and a toddler needs constant attention so I can't do a lot of housework with him either.  I've tried doing some yoga and pilates at home but he's all up in my face pulling my hair and lying down on top of me for it to be a really good work out lol.

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 04 Nov 12 12:46pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Kou check this out

http://goworkoutmom.com/2007/10/playtim … -toddlers/

Edit:
You should check this as well  wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ybiFwHlWM0

Last edited by Pakman (Sun 04 Nov 12 1:16pm)

Likes (0)