Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 20 Jul 12 6:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Home Preserves

I have a large quantity of  smallish jam jars that I have bought ready to be filled with preserves to give as Christmas gifts late this year.
This year I am also thinking about making some flavoured oils  and salt with possible rosemary added , and maybe a peppercorn mixture.
I will need to get a few bottles to make the oils nearer to Christmas.

Last year I found a recipe for Cranberry Chutney on this website that was very sucessul ( thankyou harrison83 )
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewto … 14&p=2

This is the recipe that was posted by harrison83

750g cooking apples, 1 med onion, 500g (fresh) cranberries, 250g soft pitted dates, grated zest, juice and pulp of two clementines, 400g caster sugar, 1/2 tsb ground cloves, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, 500ml white wine vineger, 1tsp salt.
chop and mix all ingredients, bring to the boil then simmer on low heat for an hour till reduced to a pulp. Leave to mature for two months.

not sure where the recipe originates, it was a friends family recipe.

It did take a lot of cooking dwn to get the consistancy and texture right but it was well worth it .

This year I will make some for my family but have not decided on one to give as gifts as yet.

Have you any plans to make preserves this year either for your own family or to give as gifts ?

(Please add a few recipes )

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 20 Jul 12 7:18pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: Home Preserves

Hi mummz big_smile

Not sure at all that i will have time to do very much this year wink Apart from the ususal Blackberry jam.

Friends make us pickled onions every year which are very welcome.
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/cooking/ … nions.html

Blackberry jam:
- 3 kg of ripe fruits for 2kg crystal sugar with pectin
- 1 lemon

-Wash the blackberries, then drain.
-Put them in a large pan with a glass and a half of water.
-As soon as they begin to boil, remove from heat and pass the fruit through a seive.
-When all the fruit is through, weigh the obtained juice.
-Put the juice into the bowl with the sugar crystal (count 1 kg of sugar per 900 g of juice)...Less sugar can be also used, depending on taste...800g per 900g juice.
-Stir to dilute the sugar before resuming cooking.

Allow 5 minutes from the beginning of the boil, and stir constantly.
Just before the end, add the lemon juice and remove the foam.

Pour into jars previously sterilized close immediately and place them face down on a tray until cooled.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 25 Jul 12 9:33pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Thanks Kye ...so you don't put the whole fruit in the jam , I call this bramble jelly , sometimes I add a bit of apple when cooking the fruit as I find it helps the setting . I was wondering of I might be able tonnage toake some of this this year.

I am hoping also that my friend ory sister remember to gets a big bag of damsons , damson jam is a favorite of mine but getting out all the stones is a real pain in the neck ( literally !)

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 26 Jul 12 12:25pm

MammaGatta

From
Member since Fri 18 Feb 11

Mummza, I've been doing damson jam for the past two days.  My OH brought home 9 kgs. yesterday from where he works.    We call them ramassin here and they are very tiny (around 10 grs. each) and to take the stones out is, as you say, a pain in the neck, back, feet, etc.  But, it's worth it in the end.  Hope you manage to get some to make your jam. yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 26 Jul 12 4:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Yes I agree the stones are a real nuisance !
What I did last time was part cook the jam , cool it down , put on some rubbery loves and squish all the stones out of the damsons like that with the gloved hands , I dropped the stones into a sieve over a bowl so what juices drained from the stones was not wasted .
I found that a lot more manageable.

Some years I have made what is called 'Damson Cheese' ..( Not a dairy type cheese !).. Where the fruit is cooked with the stones in then sieved sothat it's a purée , it is after this that it is measured and sugar added accordingly before being cooked enough to set the 'jam' . I love this its like a thickish smooth paste in texture and so spreads easily.
Sadly now I am unable to sieve the fruit to achieve this .

It will be a month or two before damsons  are ripe for use here .

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 27 Jul 12 1:45pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Where is my botulism link? *pats pockets* (where is the emoticon for that?!?)

This may be it http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r … mp;cad=rja

That's just for the flavoured oils. Basically putting anything under oil needs to have a pH of 4.6 to kill the botulism that will be present on the vegetables or herbs. You can get around it with refrigeration and using within a week or so; not convenient for gifts and at christmas time when fridge space is at a premium. Sun/oven-dried tomatoes should give enough acid, though a splash of vinegar in with it should help.

I'm trying out an idea to do a tangerine and rhubarb marmalade/jam. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've done a laska paste before. It was a fridge only item so I gave it in an esky (polystyrene box) with ice bricks. Also did a marinated feta, same deal with the storage.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 27 Jul 12 1:58pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

If you can get fresh figs this is a good recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer … index.html (I don't bother with half the spices as I never manage to have them at the same time as having fresh figs)
(again it's a fridge type unless you boil the bottles - sorry, I make most things for myself and they all go straight in the fridge due to my paranoia about mold growing because I fear I've screwed up the sterilisation, etc; I only tend to go the pantry option with sterilised jars of jams when I've made so much that I can't fit it in the fridge - so far eveything has been fine but I worry).

Don't worry about using under ripe "perfect" fruit for things. I've never had an issue making jams with over-ripe fruits. I've done a fig jam with figs that were seriously squishy and it was fine.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 27 Jul 12 3:34pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

that does sound good White Rabbit  now I will have to find someone wwho has a fig tree and will kindly give me a basket of figs.
If we buy figs from the shop here in the UK they are expensive and are bought indervidually so it would cost a fortune to make .

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 28 Jul 12 10:54am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

mummza wrote:

that does sound good White Rabbit  now I will have to find someone wwho has a fig tree and will kindly give me a basket of figs.
If we buy figs from the shop here in the UK they are expensive and are bought indervidually so it would cost a fortune to make .

They aren't cheap, even here in peak season they are not that cheap. I have a greengrocer who likes my jam though and will give me the "nearly gone" type of fruit to make things with.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 28 Jul 12 11:48pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

My favorite jam is apricot. Last year i was lucky to find a whole tray of organic apricots, i had enough to make 6 big jars of jam and an aperitif in april from some left over frozen apricots and vodka. The aperitif will be ready for tasting in september after a 6 month rest.

Likes (0)