forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 23 Sep 12 6:58pm

pickyzippy

Member since Sun 23 Sep 12

Roast pork

With pork being so cheap at the moment it is so tempting to make loads of yummy things, including roasts but....my husband finds pork really bland and dry and uninteresting.
Does anyone have any good roast pork recipes and top tips as my son and I like it a lot.
Many thanks guys x

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 24 Sep 12 5:14am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Roast pork

When I make pork roasts, I poke holes all over it with a knife and insert whole cloves of garlic.  I use about 8 to 10 depending on the size of the roast.  In a large pot I put in cooking oil about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep ( I do it by sight not measuring really). Once the oil is hot, I put in the roast and brown all sides.  Once it's all browned, I add enough water to cover the roast, lower the temp to medium and cook until the meat is fork tender.  If you prefer, after it is browned you can put it in a slow cooker and cook it that way, less watching. Salt and pepper to taste.  It's  never dry and so tender. Great for sandwiches.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 24 Sep 12 6:29am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Pork can be hard to cook as as the leaner cuts cook quite quickly and don't have a lot of fat to keep them moist. 
Pork Belly is great to roast (as long as you don't mind a bit of fat) score the rind thoroughly and rub with olive oil and salt.  Roast on a rack in a hot oven for 20 minutes then turn down to med/low and cook slowly for 1 and 1/2 hours, the crackling should be crisp and the meat tender if not cook a little longer.  Rest for 20 mins during this time you can remove the crackling and finish off in a hot oven if necessary. 
Another great recipe and I think it is Jamie's, I've been cooking it so long I've forgotten!! Marinate pork chops/cutlets in a mixture of lemon thyme (or thyme), garlic, salt, pepper and lemon zest all smashed up in a mortar and pestle with olive oil, and then either pan fry or grill until cooked but still juicy.
Pork works really well with asia flavours I've got a great recipe for braised pork neck (scotch fillet) if your interested.
Good luck  smile  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 24 Sep 12 8:43am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Which part of the pig are you roasting, and is it skin on, fat on, or trimmed? Lean cuts like leg or loin can be a bit plain when roasted, cuts like shoulder or belly are a good starting point. Another good cut is the side of the middle of the pig, the loin (skin+fat still on) with the belly still attached. When it's bonned, it's a great cut for porchetta, and it gives you a chance to get some extra flavors into the roast.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 12 Nov 12 10:30am

TomThurston

Member since Mon 15 Oct 12

for the best tasting pork make sure you get it from the producer and not the from the supermarkets. if you are unsure how to get hold of the producers then go to foodbritain and these people really helped me out last Christmas when i was struggling to find the perfect meat

Likes (0)