Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 07 Oct 12 11:32pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Bread cheese and wine. Cheese wine and bread. Wine bread and cheese.

mine it's starting to bubble lightly now, so you have all the time to get the helmet wink
I used 100 gr flour and 50 gr water, and a tbsp honey
good luck

the cup is a little larger than a tazzina da caffè, a caffelatte bowl for a hard working nonna wink

lol it's not me I have breakfast with a 2 cups coffee moka and a glug of milk, just enough not to burn my throat tongue

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 07 Oct 12 11:46pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I placed all the ingredients into an old mazagran (tall café cup), i think that i'll disappear to bed before it starts coming alive yikes

Likes (0)

#23 Mon 08 Oct 12 12:21am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

mazagran seems a good place where to start a sourdough wink

Likes (0)

#24 Mon 08 Oct 12 4:02pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Grand_Ma wrote:

mazagran seems a good place where to start a sourdough wink

ha ha hah  ahhaahhahahaha
you are funny!!!

generally I wouldn't suggest honey in a sourdough starter, especially a new one, because signs of fermentation might arise quite early but after that, the culture will have a hard time ballancing itself. honey is like saccharomyces fast food and corrupts the ballance of microorganisms.

Likes (0)

#25 Mon 08 Oct 12 7:29pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Raisin bread, i threw in a couple handfuls of chopped walnuts too. Sounds long to do but i prepared it yesterday morning and cooked in the evening.

1 cup (250ml) warm water
2 tsp dried yeast
1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
1 cup (160g) wholemeal flour
2 tsp bread improver (i added a little bicarbonate as i had no idea what this was)
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp salt
1 cup (170g) raisins
1/4 cup (50g) mixed peel
2 tbs sunfl ower seeds
2 tbs pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
1 egg yolk
1 tbs milk

Combine water, yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small jug. Set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy. Combine the plain and wholemeal flours, bread improver, mixed spice, salt and remaining sugar in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture into the well and stir to combine. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.

Place dough in a large bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.

Use your fist to punch down the dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and add the raisins and mixed peel. Knead for 5 minutes or until the fruit is well distributed through the dough.

Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush a 10 x 20cm loaf pan with melted butter to grease. Sprinkle the base and sides with half the sunflower seeds and pepitas. Shape the dough into a log and place in the prepared pan. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place. Set aside for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.

Combine the egg yolk and milk in a small bowl. Brush evenly over the top of the dough and sprinkle with remaining seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 20 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Remove from oven and turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve toasted with butter or cream cheese.

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 08 Oct 12 7:37pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 17 Oct 12 11:00pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Garlic Cheese Bread from Savoury sweet life.

Ingredients
1 baguette, horizontally cut in half
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened or partially melted
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1-1.5 cups shredded cheese (any type you like) * I like a blend of Parmesan, provolone, and Mozzarella
optional 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place both sides of the baguette on a flat oven dish with the crust side down and the cut side up. In a small bowl, combine butter and garlic and spread evenly on baguette halves. Be sure to press the garlic butter down with the back of a spatula or spoon so the small pieces of garlic are pushed into the air pockets of the bread. Bake bread for 15 minutes and remove from oven. Change the oven setting to high. Evenly sprinkle cheese over the halves of bread and place the flat oven dish back in the oven. Just 1 minute or until cheese has completed melted and shows a few golden bubble marks. Remove from oven and carefully slice bread in diagonal pieces and serve.

Likes (0)

#28 Wed 17 Oct 12 11:14pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Bought a few bottles of Sauternes, i hope that we can keep them to offer later this year yikes

Likes (0)

#29 Sat 22 Dec 12 12:05am

Kye

Forum super champ

Dinner last night with our old cheeses gathering microbes and ultra penicillium layers.

Left over (hard, smelly) cheese..goats, camembert, brie etc, placed on an oven dish and melted in the oven are a favorite with toasted bread for dipping yummy

Batavia or other lettuce and pink grapefruit as a side plate  wink

Likes (0)

#30 Sat 22 Dec 12 9:34am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Good idea Kye .. I might just see what's in the frige , make a loaf of bread and take a tip from you !
No grapefruit yet though .

Likes (0)