wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Diabetes Advice

Thistledo wrote:

All posts reported!

The spam post is gone. you may want to delete yours....then I'll try to remember to delete mine... thumbsup

Likes (0)

#63 Sat 12 Jan 13 10:08pm

LisaLove2Cook

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

Is there always spam aftet I post?  shocked

Likes (0)

#64 Sat 12 Jan 13 10:15pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

No Lisa , don't worry.. I don't think the spam is after you !

Likes (0)

#65 Sat 12 Jan 13 10:25pm

LisaLove2Cook

Member since Thu 10 Jan 13

Thanks
What is it?  Gosh I sound thick

Likes (0)

#66 Wed 23 Jan 13 6:16am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Lots of good advice. I do a lot of these things already now that I'm getting the hang of it all. Went 6 days without meds recently and sugars only went up a little bit.
I'll respond to each bit separately.

LisaLove2Cook wrote:

Hi,
Hope this helps.. All bran is a good cereal to have as its low Gi
thumbsup I cook up my Starchef full of Oatbran Porridge, Dessicated Coconut and All Bran mixed together, then freeze it into small portion sized sealed pots. thumbsup

Ive switched from potatoes to sweet potatoes mashed with a little flora margarine and garlic granuels to make it less sweet and more savoury.
White potatoes are ok but leave the skin on to make it lower Gi also.
thumbsup I've knocked potatoes on the head. I sometimes have Roast Swede, or a small blodge of neeps (mashed turnips without the whisky).
I've knocked rice on the head too. I make a decent rice pudding using pearl barley and runny oatmeal porridge with a vanilla pod (left to simmer and steep on slow cooker mode). I use pearl barley to make risotto, paella, biryani etc. thumbsup

If you need ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner then I will jot a few down below.

BREAKFAST:
1 granary slice toasted with poached egg, grilled mushrooms and 1 slice of bacon
thumbsup I occasionally indulge in sour dough bread, high bran wraps or high bran pitta bloated out with good foods. I also dry fry my mushrooms and boil eggs as I never get them wrong when I used my glass egg thingy to gauge if they're done thumbsup

Or
All~bran with semi or skimmed milk with a little banana
thumbsup See above thumbsup

Or
Natural yogurt with fruit of your choice (banana & raspberries is my fave)
thumbsup I'll have to try to get used to that because it sounds clean tasting and lovely. At the moment though it taste like baby sick. puke  thumbsup 

LUNCH:
2 nimble slices with chicken, lettuce & a little mayo
thumbsup Have dumped mayo for pringle spicy dip. (unlike the pringles, the dip is quite healthy) or add extra juicy stuff such as baby toms pickled cucumber slices etc. I also stick some unsalted cashews in to add interesting taste and textures. thumbsup

Or
2 nimble slices with tomato, tuna, olive oil & sprinkle of black pepper
thumbsup Loving tinned (in water and even then well rinsed) tuna in all sorts of situations now. My taste buds are changing. thumbsup

Or
Chunky vegetable soup with 1 slice of granary bread
thumbsup Again I make enough for many servings and freeze it in portion pots. The rare times I have bread with it, I treat myself to good butter on a crusty hunk of sour dough bread. thumbsup

MAIN MEAL:
Fish, chicken or lamb with steamed vegetables and roast sweet potato with a little gravy
thumbsup Turkey too. Again I rarely, if ever have any form of potatoes. Well roasted swedes sometimes. thumbsup

Or
Wholewheat pasta with meat and veg
thumbsup I don't touch pasta. Except occasionally dry noodles. thumbsup

Or
Chilli con carne (make it your self and bulk it up with kidney beans and peppers)
thumbsup I use turkey mince (quorn and turkey if I'm not reheating) and bulk up with much haricot beans and fine chopped mushrooms. I stick cinnamon, karela and broccoli into anything I can sneak it into, this is one of them. thumbsup

If on occasion you fancy a curry night opt for lentil, chickpea and spinach curry with supermarket mini wholemeal chappati and tzatziki.
thumbsup Sound nice, although I'm starting to be a mean curry chef now days and usually use fish, turkey, chicken, lamb, pork or a mix of these. thumbsup 

Hope this helps.. I'm also type 2 and it is daunting @ first as you start to question every thing you eat and panic about how your feeling when you do eat.
I just try and swap whites for brown or granary (you do get used to it) add veg and less sugar.. It is not always easy but as long as you are making changes your heading in the right direction smile

Once again thanks for the very sound advice. Gonna look for some veggie curry recipes. Also I'll persevere with the baby sick yogurt.  puke It sounds nice, if I could get past that yuck taste.

Likes (0)

#67 Wed 23 Jan 13 6:18am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Thistledo wrote:

All posts reported!

UH??? question

Likes (0)

#68 Wed 23 Jan 13 6:22am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

mummza wrote:

No Lisa , don't worry.. I don't think the spam is after you !

It sounds like a scene from 'The Blob'.
This Friday in a cinema near you,
RUN, DON'T WALK FROM..... THE SPAM!!
Certificate 18.
help  shocked  help

Likes (0)

#69 Sun 27 Jan 13 10:16am

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

TerryKay wrote:

Went 6 days without meds recently and sugars only went up a little bit.

That's great!

Likes (0)

#70 Thu 31 Jan 13 10:24am

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Pakman wrote:

TerryKay wrote:

Went 6 days without meds recently and sugars only went up a little bit.

That's great!

Cheers mate!!

Likes (0)