forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 27 Oct 12 3:38am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Irresponsible restaurant shock

For travelers or people who can't feasibly take a doggy bag, it is very normal to split a meal in the U.S.  We split meals overseas, we split two appetizers more often, not even a main course.  I don't know where these smaller portions are served, but it seemed to me that most restaurants tend to make the portions larger than any meal you'd eat at home.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 27 Oct 12 6:38pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Oh Sh!t its Mr. Creosote!
Balance! Sometimes I need a big one, cold weather and hard work. Usually though I like to leave a restaurant/cafe contented.  Quality not quantity. I remember being pointed to restaurants in my youth, by others, because of the mountain size portions (usually chips/fries).I realised this was a con; they thought they were getting a good deal.
If I ever leave food at a restaurant, itís because itís no good. So itís unlikely a doggy bag would be needed. Whatís that called in the U.S.?
There is a book with weird state laws, out there somewhere. Itís a funny read.
Donít drive with a mobile phone call, even if it is legal.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 27 Oct 12 7:05pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

MsP, that was one thing I couldn't get my head around when living in/working in/visiting the US (which I love and I owe a huge debt to).

Portion size ...  An appetiser for one would be more than I'd serve for two (and I'm not stingy). 

And the "Up-sizing" for a few cents more but it is too often stuff that should be eaten in moderation if at all.

Hey, I'm not the "food police" but sometimes, people need to be protected from themselves.

Yes, it might make one feel good (for a short time- High GI foods), it may fill your belly for a short time- more Hi GI food. It may be quick, cheap and easy. But what is it doing to your body short term/ long term?

Fresh food, bought seasonally and cooked simply is cheap and nutritious.

On the rare occasions I eat out, those are the restaurants I patronise.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#14 Mon 29 Oct 12 1:36pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

@nGoose1 wrote:

If I ever leave food at a restaurant, itís because itís no good. So itís unlikely a doggy bag would be needed. Whatís that called in the U.S.?

Well, that makes no sense to me.  How much I eat is not dictated by how much is on my plate.  If I can't finish something that's it, I'm not eating any more no matter how good it is.  Even at home if I cook a steak for myself I only eat half because that's all I can eat. 

Even if I go to a restaurant and the food is terrible, I still take it with me in a doggy bag.  I consider it rude and wasteful not to - they'll chuck it in the trash.  And this may sound a little strange but there are a lot of homeless people in NY.  Often times I take my doggy bag and give it to someone who is in need of a meal.  If I can't see anyone I leave it by the side of the trashcan (in its container and plastic bag) because I know some hungry people rummage through the trash to find food.  I leave it there and I'm sure some hungry person comes and takes it.

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 29 Oct 12 11:29pm

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

koukouvagia wrote:

And this may sound a little strange but there are a lot of homeless people in NY.  Often times I take my doggy bag and give it to someone who is in need of a meal.  If I can't see anyone I leave it by the side of the trashcan (in its container and plastic bag) because I know some hungry people rummage through the trash to find food.  I leave it there and I'm sure some hungry person comes and takes it.

That's another way to look at it.

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 30 Oct 12 1:50pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

They worry that you wouldn't store it properly, then get food poisoning, and then blame the restaurant.

Luckily my favourite restaurant doesn't think like that! smile

No, it's not that.........it's just not part of our culture, & most restaurants don't provide a 'take-away-service so don't have the means to 'box up' the remains of your meal.

Likes (0)

#17 Tue 30 Oct 12 2:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

minerva wrote:

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

They worry that you wouldn't store it properly, then get food poisoning, and then blame the restaurant.

No, it's not that.........it's just not part of our culture, & most restaurants don't provide a 'take-away-service so don't have the means to 'box up' the remains of your meal.

Minnie s right , so for us here in the UK its just somethig thats ...'Not done' !

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 30 Oct 12 4:35pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mummza wrote:

minerva wrote:

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Minnie s right , so for us here in the UK its just somethig thats ...'Not done' !

I would bring my own container then.  And I would continuously ask restaurants for doggy bags.  Ask enough and they will respond to the public.  Why should tons of food go in the trash when it can be taken home and eaten?  In Greece it's the same thing, they don't have containers for things so I ask for parchment paper and aluminum foil - all restaurants have that.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 30 Oct 12 4:35pm)

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 30 Oct 12 10:35pm

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

minerva wrote:

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

JoyYam's right--in our lawsuit-happy culture, all you'd have to do is sneeze without a safety data sheet to be sued.

Where I live (in CA), you WOULD be sued for food poisoning.

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 31 Oct 12 10:08am

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Yes I think it's the lawsuit thing.  I remember some restaurants not want to reheat homemade baby food, but that were happy to heat up a jar, because of the risk of food poisioning.

Likes (0)