forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Wed 31 Oct 12 3:21pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: Irresponsible restaurant shock

A lot of places won't heat up baby food for you because of safety policy - more to do with burning than food poisoning, I think, and it's not necessarily silly because catering microwaves can be very powerful! However, anywhere I've gone with a baby will provide a pot of hot water - just sit the jar or bottle in it for a while and it takes the chill off.

I rarely ask for a doggy bag - as someone else said, I guess it just isn't part of the culture here. However, on one occasion I did, and the only problem I encountered was that their safety policy didn't let them take the food back into the kitchen and package it, so they brought foil out to the table and let me do it myself.

I think theissue with huge portions in restaurants is quite a complicated one. Yes, we all bear responsibility for what we eat, but it's surprisingly hard to assess portion sizes when all the plates in the place are enormous. Even if you try to only eat what you need, it's very easy to overestimate. Also, if all the restaurants  serve huge portions, it starts to shape your assumptions about what is a reasonable portion.

This isn't only the case in the USA - if you look up what recommended portion sizes actually are for different types of food, they seem shockingly small. That's because we've all been brought up in a big-plates culture. Our expectations of food are for large amounts, and our stomachs are stretched accordingly!

So it's less a question of an individual restaurant somehow inflicting obesity on its innocent customers, and more a subtle question about unhealthy cultural norms and how they get perpetuated.

Likes (0)

#22 Mon 11 Aug 14 6:15am

ReikiK8

Occupation Homemaker, Reiki Master
From Tucson, Arizona
Member since Tue 23 Oct 12

To all those who replied that driving while using a cell phone is illegal - yes it is in most of the civilized world.  However, upon mentioning the subject to a police officer, he said that it is legal here.  I don't know if it's just Tucson or all of Arizona.

The large portion shock I mentioned referred to the fact that children will clear the plate, especially of unhealthy fried food.  My husband and I and our friends always get a doggy bag.

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 14 Sep 14 2:23am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

Just saw an article about Olive Garden yesterday (for those in Europe: an American restaurant chain that serves Italian food)

Seems that a hedge-fund doesn't like how OG operates: giving out too many breadsticks and not outsourcing the soup bases, for example.  Of course, Olive Garden serves limitless amounts of salad and breadsticks.  And they WILL let you take leftovers home.

(I can't post the link to the article, but it came through CNBC.  I tried, but the board wouldn't post it because of a "spam reference")

Last edited by Kaitlyn (Sun 14 Sep 14 2:24am)

Likes (0)

#24 Sun 14 Sep 14 8:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Likes (1)

#25 Mon 15 Sep 14 1:41am

Kaitlyn

Occupation Stuff and nonsense!
From California
Member since Mon 07 Sep 09

Thank you, MsPablo--but how did YOU get a link in when I could not?

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 15 Sep 14 2:04am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Perhaps something in the CNBC article set off filters here on this site.  If you have a similar problem in the future, perhaps try posting a link to the same news via another news group or contact the site's administration if you're unable to do that.  It's been all over the net recently - just another garbage story about a company I have no interest in frankly.

Likes (3)

#27 Mon 15 Sep 14 11:33am

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

Kaitlyn wrote:

koukouvagia wrote:

It is most certainly not legal to talk on the phone while driving!

Yes, it's obscene, but this is America where the bigger is better.  NY just passed a law to ban establishments from serving 36 oz drinks and people were protesting in the streets.

DC wants to do the same thing.  There are lawsuits against the NYC law.

Talking on the phone while driving in my home state gets you a moving violation (meaning points on the driving record).

Its illegal to drive and talk on your phone in The UK (unless its hands free) Not that people take a blind bit of notice, I see it still happening everyday. Whats the point in these laws if people are getting away with it.

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 15 Sep 14 2:02pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

yes, i agree with you all-as a bulgarian sayings says :"everything has its own limits" ,when we dont want to eat it we takeaway it for home,a restraunt close to the city closer to mine does that. if you cant eat it,leave it and pay i would say-hey,that rhymes and it is right... would you believe,but when we were in greece the portions of the mains and sides were small,but the salad and mezes were big,in the balkans we like it that way...in our tradionally restraunt whenever they serve meatballs n chips they will serve you one meatball and two big portions of chips and cheese,how i can eat that ! mummza i think this isnt fair.

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)