forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 24 Oct 12 1:58am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Women who eat a lot of chip/fries have lower birth weight babies .

I have just come across this news item , it suggests that women who eat a lot of chips/fries have lower birth weigh babies .
I was a bit surprised by this .
I have copied over the article from the BBC news age so that all can see it.
I would never have thought that something as simple as eating loads of chips/fries could have caused an issue like this .

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-20040631

Chips and crisps 'linked to low birth weight babies'
23 October 2012 Last updated at 14:28

Babies representing England were drawn from the Born in Bradford project
Pregnant women who eat large amounts of chips and crisps could be harming their babies as much as smokers, a new European study suggests.

Women and babies from England, Denmark, Greece, Norway and Spain were tested for levels of a potentially toxic chemical found in fried potatoes.

It found babies from Bradford, who represented England, had the highest levels and lower birth weights.

The study was led by the Centre for Research in Environmental Epidemiology.

Researchers found infants born to women with a high dietary intake of the chemical, called acrylamide, were found to be 132g (4.6oz) lighter than babies born to mothers who had a low intake.

They also found the infants' heads were up to 0.33cm smaller.

Tracking the health

Researchers said the size of a child's head has been associated with delayed neurodevelopment, while lower birth weights have been associated with adverse health effects in early life and as children grow up.

The study, led by the Barcelona-based centre, is claimed to be the first in humans to examine the association between acrylamide exposure during pregnancy and birth outcomes.

Prof John Wright, from the Bradford Institute for Health Research, said: "The effect of acrylamide is comparable with the well-known adverse effect of smoking on birth weight."

The study looked at the diet of 1,100 pregnant women and newborns from the five European countries.

The babies taken to represent England were drawn from the Born in Bradford project, which is tracking the health of more than 13,500 babies from womb to adulthood.

Dr Laura Hardie, from the University of Leeds, said: "One hundred and eighty six women from the Born in Bradford study took part in this major European research programme.

"We found that their babies had the highest levels of acrylamide out of all the five centres - almost twice the level of the Danish babies.

"When we investigated their diet it was clear that the largest source of dietary acrylamide is from chips."

Prof Wright said women's diet in Bradford was similar to the rest of the UK.

"The UK tends to have high levels of acrylamide in the diet and this is a reflection of the type of diet that we have.

"We eat a lot of chips and crisps in this country - we eat something like 10 billion packets of crisps a year, that is more than the rest of Europe put together."

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 24 Oct 12 3:08am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Women who eat a lot of chip/fries have lower birth weight babies .

I wonder what they consider large amount?

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 24 Oct 12 3:37am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I imagine if they eat a large amount of chips and crisps, the bulk of their diet would be made up of foods low in nutrition.  Can't see that they would eat loads of lovely fruit and veg, dairy foods, and lean protein.  Poor food choices all round methinks.

Mind you, I wasn't averse to the odd choccy treat together with the pickled onions and lemons I used to suck on.  shocked

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 24 Oct 12 3:45am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

Back in the day, I ate potatoes almost every day. Boiled, fried, baked, cooking into all kinds of dishes...potato salad, mashed potatoes....and my son's weighed 9lbs 14oz and 10lbs 15oz.

Luv...I love lemons, when I was younger my mom would buy the bags of a dozen or so and I'd eat the whole thing with salt...I'm surprised I still have enamel on my teeth..

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 24 Oct 12 4:02am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

yikes  wow, those are big babies you had Coco.  I wonder how much more potato and crisps you would have had to eat to make your babies smaller  lol

How about grapefruit Coco?  Do you like them too?  I do  yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 24 Oct 12 4:09am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL

I love all citrus....limes, tangerines, mandarines, satsumas, navel oranges...etc. And I like my grapefruit as it..no sugar or anything.

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 24 Oct 12 2:15pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Um, dumb question and it's late and I should be in bed, but the crisps were (seemingly) cooked in oil.

How were the chips cooked? In oil?

OK, I re-read Mummza's post. The potatoes were cooked in oil.

But what oil?

I only use (my own h/m) oil sprays. Use canola, OO or EVOO depending on what I'm cooking.

One reason why I don't particularly like eating out- I don't know and can't control how things are cooked.

Sorry, yet another Libran trait. We are control freaks- well, some of us are tongue

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Sat 27 Oct 12 9:44am

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

The thing with the whole acrylamide debate we had a few years back (when they told us we would get cancer from fries/chips and toasted bread) was that the lab rats that got cancer had eaten nothing else.

I suspect the problem with the women who eat loads of fries/crisps during pregnancy is not what they eat, but what they don't eat.

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 27 Oct 12 2:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

My first thought was what was the overall diet and are they getting sufficient nutrition.  Gee, you would think pregnant women would feel indigestion from all the fried and salty foods.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 27 Oct 12 3:12pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Non pregnant as well, let alone pregnant. If filling up on junk what are they missing out on?

The "modern" world and its ways (making junk so accessible, "easy" and so affordable, in some eyes) has a lot to answer for.

Off the soap box wink.

wave

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)