forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 01 Nov 12 10:12am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Re: No Refrigerator?

Definitely an interesting article, and it's always worth thinking outside the (ice)box. You can learn a lot by looking at alternative ways of doing things.

However, I'm a bit puzzled by what the designer thinks the problem is with using a refrigerator. It all seems to be a bit vague, about "handing over responsibility to the technology". I don't know about you, but my fridge has very little input into decisions about food storage. I exercise a fair amount of knowledge in what I put there and how I store it. My fridge doesn't freeze things (except for the occasional mistake!) and by knowing what goes in the fridge and what doesn't, I very rarely waste veg through spoiling. That's something that's taken some time to learn.

Again, it's interesting, and worth knowing more about how people used to store things and so on, but I don't feel inspired to chuck my refrigerator just yet. What would I do with my leftovers??

Good fridge tip, incidentally: line the veg drawer with a tea towel or kitchen towel. It absorbs moisture and stops slime building up, which causes rot. Change every couple of weeks.

Likes (0)

#12 Thu 01 Nov 12 3:18pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

beerforyorky wrote:

During construction of our house in Surin, we temporarily resided in rented accommodation and bought a small refrigerator. After moving, we purchased a larger refrigerator and gave the existing one to my wife's family.

Since then, the only things that I have ever seen in there have been bottles of water.

Everything they eat with the rice (mandatory) is fresh from a garden and if (repeat, if) anything is left it is fed to the ducks and chickens.

A simple life.

Wow, perhaps the electricity cost isn't worth them plugging in the refrigerator.

Hippytea - I don't have slime forming in the crisper. That sounds like a (minor) problem.  Check the various drains and be sure you pull out loose stuff and wash out the crisper every week when you shop.   Says your Mother! tongue

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 01 Nov 12 3:26pm)

Likes (0)

#13 Thu 01 Nov 12 3:20pm

ANN

Forum champ
From North Carolina
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

I thought the same as mummza, about the dairy and meat.  It is very artistic, but I would be one who needed milk and meat storage.

Likes (0)

#14 Fri 02 Nov 12 6:46am

beerforyorky

Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

MsPablo wrote:

Wow, perhaps the electricity cost isn't worth them plugging in the refrigerator.

Come to think of it, I didn't check whether it was actually plugged in! Probably isn't.

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 02 Nov 12 12:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

tongue It's a cabinet!

Likes (0)