forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 02 Nov 12 8:58pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Hurricane Sandy

As many of you might now, there has been a lot of destruction here in my area.  The hurricane left a lot of damage along the Jersey Shore and along the coastal areas of NY.  A lot of people are still without electricity and many are still out of their homes.  Luckily where I am we have power, running water, and have barely felt the effects though taking a quick walk around my neighborhood I found lots of downed trees on top of cars and houses.  The parks are closed and gasoline has completely ran out at most gas stations.  Schools have been closed all week and serving as shelters - they are due to reopen on Monday.

Thank goodness we are all ok.

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 02 Nov 12 9:40pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: Hurricane Sandy

ciao kouko big_smile what a relief to know you are ok
I hope seing the effects of the hurricane but being ok is not so bad for you, take care  big_smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 03 Nov 12 9:02am

kyrie02

Member since Sat 03 Nov 12

I heard many banks in that state are offering to waive fees to hurricane victims. According to Boston.com, TD Bank is offering to waive or refund ATM fees and early withdrawal penalties for certificates of deposits, among others, but only if customers request it.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 03 Nov 12 1:42pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Glad to hear you are ok!!!

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 03 Nov 12 2:30pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

have been thinking about you , Glad you are ok thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 04 Nov 12 12:06am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

It's going to take a fair while for your area to get back to normal Kk.
Glad you are ok.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 04 Nov 12 2:05am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

That is good new Kou! I am so impressed with the good planning that meant so few people died. I can imagine how frustrating and heart rending all the damage is though!

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 04 Nov 12 12:43pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

I am very disappointed they canceled the marathon.  I thought that considering how much money it raises for numerous charities that it wouldn't be a negative thing.  Not many NYorkers shared my sentiments though.  Mayor Bloomberg announced at 4pm on Friday that the marathon was "of course going to be held."  Only a couple of hours later the announcement came that it was cancelled.  They should have canceled it earlier in the week... instead they waited until friday night, when most of the runners had flown in from all parts of the world to compete.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 04 Nov 12 7:16pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I think that many of the runners still had a run together in Central Park as I saw some pictures on Instagram , one of which Danny posted.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 04 Nov 12 11:51pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

mummza wrote:

I think that many of the runners still had a run together in Central Park as I saw some pictures on Instagram , one of which Danny posted.

And many are helping with the relief effort.
http://newyorkcitymarathon.runnersworld … pport.html

Likes (0)