Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 05 Nov 12 11:35am

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

boozy chocs for christmas

I never done much in the chocolate making front, melted for adding to mouse etc, and I have made some fudge and some truffles ages ago.  I fancy making some boozy chocs to add to the hampers this year, can you add spirits to melted chocolate and set in shapes, can I make hollow shapes and add a boozy filling - any ideas welcome just fancy doing something different

Thanks

Gem

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 05 Nov 12 1:45pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: boozy chocs for christmas

If yoou think about the boozy chocolates that are avalible, many of these have a syrupy liquid center flavoured with the alcohol .
(I think the are an either love it or hate it thing. For me , I dislike them but my darling enjoys them )
I am not sure how easy these would be to make.

My suggestion if you want to make a boozy chocolate would be to add a little booziness to the chocolate truffle,  a bit like Delia Smith does whan she nmakes that well know Christmas Desert the truffle torte .

I think that way you can control the look , texture and taste of the chocolate easier.
You could always dip the truffles into melted chocolate to finish them off if you want , or coat them in shaved chocolate or cocoa powder .

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 05 Nov 12 2:12pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I have seen this done, well something similar where the liquor was shaped in cornstarch:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- … -Cordials/
http://wn.com/liquor_filled_chocolates

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 05 Nov 12 2:14pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 05 Nov 12 8:20pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

well Earthmum , I was in Homesense today ( sister store to tkmax) and its worth going to have a look at TKMax or Homesense if you have one near you as there were quite a few silicone chocolate moulds there, I thought of you when I saw them .
If they are in Homesense then they may well also be in TKmax at the moment as I have usually found similar/the same items in bothe stores at the same time.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 05 Nov 12 11:15pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

These are great http://www.alcohol-stuff.co.uk/articles … ecipe.html i made them with sparkling dry white wine. Really easy.

The only moulds i have are teddy bear shapes.
Last year i filled them with half milk chocolate, and then half ganache that i mixed with black chocolate. Alcohol adds water to chocolate, with water chocolate will seize and become a lumpy mess. Ganache avoids this happening.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 11 Nov 12 5:16pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I've got a chocolate truffle recipe that I use, which I've poured into little foil petit four cases.  I think that would probably work just as well in chocolate moulds.  I also quite often add tiny little pieces of orange peel that has been soaked in Cointreau.  Really yummy wink

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 11 Nov 12 6:40pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Was it Eddie had a great recipe for candied pee?  I must look it up. My head is working overtime now, I'm off for two weeks and hope to get a lot of Christmas stuff done.  crossed

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 11 Nov 12 6:53pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Here is the recipe I use for candied orange peel. 
3 organic naval oranges (You definitely don't want any nasty bug killer on that peel!)
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup corn syrup

Wash oranges and cut each into 6 wedges.  Scrape away the pulp and a layer of the pith.
Cover with water in a pan and bring to a boil.  Boil for 1 minute and drain.  Repeat the process three more times.   This gets most of the bitterness out.
Remove peels and add water, sugar and corn syrup to pan.  Bring to a boil and stir until dissolved.  Add peels and turn down heat to med. and boil for 25 min.
Place peels on a cooling rack for 2-3 hours.  Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
These are really good and the ones you buy in the store can't hold a candle to them.
Eddie

This is copied and pasted from my own files and it was copied and pasted to there from  a post by Eddie, they are smashing. I have cut them into triangles and dipped them in melted  dark chocolate  as gifts. Delish. If you like that sort of thing.   smile

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 12 Nov 12 3:54pm

JOFoodTube

Member since Mon 12 Nov 12

Hi Gem!

Great question on boozy chocolates here! I am currently working on Jamie's brand new YouTube Channel which is launching in January 2013. Could you send me a email via this forum so I can get in touch with you directly regarding how we might be able to use some of your great questions on the channel?

Cheers

Charles.

Likes (0)