Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 08 Nov 12 11:25pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Take 4 good sized potatoes ......

I have a cookbook ( that right nw I cant put my hands on ) that I think was produced some years ago to raise money for the 'save the children' charity .

the book suggests recipes that are based around 4 reasonable sized potatoes

Take 4 good sized potatoes ......

please keep adding recipes and ideas of what you would do with 4 good sized potatoes, how would you cook them and what would you add to them ?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 09 Nov 12 12:15pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Take 4 good sized potatoes ......

Take 4 good sized potatoes and put them in a steamer until cooked through.  When they're cooked, peel the skins off and chop up into bite sized pieces.  Put in a deep plate and combine with chopped hard boiled egg, a few slices of tomato, and season with salt, pepper and a bit of fresh oregano.  Dress generously with olive oil and red wine vinegar and voila, you have my favorite on-the-fly dinner.... warm potato salad.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 10 Nov 12 12:23am

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

Slice thinly, layer with a leek in a pie tin. Fill with 1/4 cream and 3/4 milk, top with cheese, salt and a sprinkle of paprika or cayenne pepper and bake. Adding chicken into the pie is optional.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 10 Nov 12 1:12am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Take 4 good size potatoes and cut into small square pieces. Combine with one chopped onion. In a 2 quart pot add just enough cooking oil to coat the bottom of the pan, potatoes, onions and salt. Cover and cook on a medium heat.  Do not stir. Cook until the potatoes are soft.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 10 Nov 12 1:47am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

http://www.thekitchn.com/super-bowl-rec … oes-164999

Leave the bacon out mummz for yourself.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 10 Nov 12 1:58pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

This is a simple dish using only a few ingredients, but it's quite delicious and becomes much more than the sum of it's parts once cooked.

Potato Gratin (Provence Style)

2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
12 Whole Cloves Garlic, peeled
1/4 Cup Olive Oil (one glug)
1 Bay Leaf
Salt
Boiling Water, as needed

Rinse potato slices in cold water and pat dry with a clean cloth.  Place in a bowl with the oil and toss lightly to coat.  Layer half the potato slices in an earthenware baking dish.  Sprinkle with salt and spread the garlic over and bay leaf.  Layer the remaining potatoes into the dish.  Pour over any remaining oil from the bowl.  Fill almost to cover with boiling water.  Bake at 350 F. - 176.6 C. until the potatoes are tender and water is absorbed.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 10 Nov 12 2:47pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I'm gonna have to try that one MsP...sounds like my kind of potato dish.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 12 Nov 12 12:11pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Cut the potatoes in thick-ish slices, and roast in the oven on high with a little EVOO, salt and pepper.

When nearly cooked, add lardons, sliced onions, shake the whole lot, and put back in the oven until everything is nicely cooked. In the meantime, slice some raclette cheese (remove the rind first). Put the raclette slices on top of the potato dish in the last 5 minutes of cooking time (grill). Serve with a green salad & french dressing.

Perfect winter warmer!

Frenchie

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 13 Nov 12 9:09am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Take 4 good sized potatoes , wash and dry them . Cut into fairly small chunks . Put into a bowl and sprinkle well with olive oil .
Add the chunks to a hot roasting dish/ tray in the oven and spread the potatoes over the roasting dish/ tray . Sprinkle them with just a little salt and retern to the oven to roast.

These little tiny roast potatoes are delicious .
You could if you like add things like rosemary , garlic , wedges of onion , parika , to the potatoes as they are being coated with a little olive oil in the bowl , or you could leave them plain and simple.

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 13 Nov 12 9:10am

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

MsP I sometimes cook potatoes like that only I use vegetable stock instead of water .

Likes (0)