forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Thu 22 Nov 12 11:11pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: I hope this is in the right place. Venison for christmas..?

I cooked a 4kg Roe, leg, last month. Roasted like beef. 30 min high heat sizzle, then down to a lower heat.Lots of bacon over the top (real pig lots of back fat). studded it with bacon and thyme.  Great results.
Venison has litle fat, so it needs to have some to prevent drying out.That said if the beast had been hung/dry aged it would of been much better.
Don't marinade it. As Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall points out, this pickles the meat. Wine is great for flavour, but  it is a myth that wine based marinades are helpfull in any way.
Check out Hugh for all things venison.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 01 Dec 12 8:33am

Ladybee1602

Member since Sat 24 Nov 12

I've got a venison fillet that I was considering doing a 'Wellington'.  Smothered with pate and a creamy pepper cheese then wrapped in puff pastry.

Any idea if this will work?

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 01 Dec 12 5:27pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Have never done anything like this, but it sounds possible. Beef Wellington is usually done with fillet, which is lean and inclined to be dry like venison is. It seems like a good bet that what works with beef fillet might work with venison too.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 02 Dec 12 4:24pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I haven't been on for a while (presures of school/family etc), so I've only just seen this.

If I were choosing I would either go for a fillet of venison, and cook it like fillet steak.  But that's not a big cut (nowhere near the size of a beef filet), so I personally would choose to cook a leg.  There is a fantastic Jamie recipe which I cooked a couple of years back for New Years Eve, here is the link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … routs.html

I've cooked this a couple of times now, and what I now choose to do, is to bone out the leg, then tie it back in, so that you get the benifites of cooking on the bone, but then it's really easy to carve later!

I hope you enjoy it

Likes (0)