forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 24 Nov 12 9:03pm

court67ontour

Occupation Student - Diploma Intro Professional Cookery Lvl 1
From Caerphilly
Member since Tue 18 Oct 11

lemongrass

I like cooking with fresh lemongrass, as you know it comes in bundles of 5 or so stalks, once i've used what i need, i end up freezing them in freezer bags, when i go to use it again, they tend to be watery and a bit mushy, has anyone mastered how to preserve lemongrass and it remains very close to fresh?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 24 Nov 12 10:59pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Re: lemongrass

I learnt that they should be frozen sparsed out on a tray or plate completely before being placed in freezer bags (air pushed out)...

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 24 Nov 12 11:23pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I don't know about lemongrass, but most stiff fruit/veg/herbs go soft when you freeze, because the cell walls burst. I'm not sure there's much you can do about it.

How is the flavour? Is it spoiled at all? If the flavour is good, you could try chopping it or making it into a paste before freezing, to make it easier to use when you defrost it. Would that help? How do you usually use it?

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 25 Nov 12 8:02am

beerforyorky

Forum champ
Occupation Retired
From Surin, N.E. Thailand
Member since Mon 29 Dec 08

My wife uses lemongrass extensively in Thai cooking but it can be bought here in small quantities and is so cheap, we have not considered freezing it.

However, I read some time ago an article on freezing chillis. The gist was that they should be frozen separately (as Kye says) and very quickly.The suggestion was to use dry ice to decrease the freezing time and when required, use straight from the freezer without defrosting.

I cannot say whether this will work with lemongrass but it may be worth trying.

Cheers

Y

Likes (0)