Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 27 Nov 12 9:25pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

icing / frosting recipes

ew forum member costal Kid was talking about making a Christmas Cake and putting a meringue on top and this reminded me of an American Frosting that my brother and I used to make when we were children , having found the recipe in a magazine it became a favorite and my brother was always key in making this , I think as he could use the old rotary whisk faster them me !

I have beeing trying to search for a similar recipe.
The American Frosting that we used to make was quite crisp and dried more as it was left ( not that it had much chence to dry in our house !)

This recipe could be similar as its discribed as being crisp on the outside and soft in the center.copied over from this website as I know some forum members have difficulty acessing the links
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/article/d … -a142.html

Meringue

This typically American-style frosting is made from egg whites, caster sugar and water. It is whipped and then spread with a palette knife onto the cake to create an edible looking icing that looks particularly striking when decorated with fresh flowers. Be warned though, you must act quickly when icing your cake as it sets within moments of coming off the heat.

If the cake is transported it needs to be carefully packed as its soft texture can be easily damaged. Meringue does not hold up well in humidity.

American-style meringue frosting
2 egg whites
425 g caster sugar
100 mL water

Using a hand-held electric beater, whisk egg whites in the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until very stiff. In a separate pan, dissolve the sugar in the water and boil for 5-10 minutes until the liquid is thick and syrupy and has reached the 'thread' stage - when the last few drops that fall from a metal spoon come off in one long syrupy thread.

Pour the syrup over the egg whites, whisking all the time. Return the bowl to above the saucepan of simmering water and continue to whisk for 10-15 minutes or until the icing is white, very thick and meringue-like.

Last edited by mummza (Tue 27 Nov 12 9:31pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 27 Nov 12 9:29pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: icing / frosting recipes

Or this could be  the American Frosting that we used to make, one thing in my memory is searching out a tin of cream of tartar, I have copied it over from this website as I know that some people have trouble acessing the links.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/meringue-frosting

Meringue Frosting

Make the frosting shortly before assembling the cake.

2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup water
    3 large egg whites
    1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
    2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, combine the 2/3 cup of sugar with the water. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Using a brush dipped in cold water, wash down any sugar crystals from the side of the pan. Boil the syrup without stirring over moderately high heat until the syrup reaches 240 on a candy thermometer, about 7 minutes.
    Meanwhile, in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar at medium-high speed until they hold soft peaks. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and beat until the whites are firm. With the machine on, drizzle the boiling syrup down the side of the mixing bowl, avoiding the whisk, and beat at low speed for 3 minutes until stiff, glossy peaks form when the whisk is lifted. Beat in the orange zest and vanilla and let cool for 10 minutes. Use the Meringue Frosting as soon as possible.

Likes (0)