forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 06 Dec 12 8:03pm

brieven

Member since Thu 06 Dec 12

american dishes

Hello everybody
I am dimitri and i live in belgium

and i really want to make new york dishes ? but I don't know wich dish is very famous in new york and how can i make it

greetings from a belgian fan dimitri

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 06 Dec 12 8:41pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: american dishes

There are loads of foods that are popular in NYC, some maybe invented there, most brought by immigrants from all over the world and then sometimes they remain authentic or they get twisted in a nice way.

I would almost always want to sample a hot pastrami or a corned beef sandwich or lox and cream cheese on a bagel (with capers, onion, lemon, tomato) any time I go to NYC.  NY Cheesecake is wonderful, the baked pretzels eaten hot are quite nice .  .  . a trip to Chinatown is a must for a meal.  There are so many other famous dishes - Reuben sandwiches, Waldorf salad, eggs benedict . . . Manhattan clam chowder and scores of traditional dishes made by people who recreate cuisines from home - so every part of Eastern Europe is heavily represented and Russia, lots of good smoked fish from the deli's, lots of Italian and many Latin countries are represented, many Asian cuisines as well.  Or maybe your interest is more in the Michelin starred restaurant cuisines where chefs make artfully concocted amazing delicacies.  American ice cream is very good - it's my favorite of any ice cream I've had anywhere and I say this as a person who loves the food I tried in other countries.

What are your interests in trying New York foods?  Americans invented some dishes, but usually built on traditions brought from elsewhere, so it is hard to characterize a big city like NY which has been made up of people from all over for centuries by one type of cuisine.

Last edited by MsPablo (Thu 06 Dec 12 8:46pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 Dec 12 10:23pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

What kind of dishes are you looking for?  New Yorkers don't eat any differently than the rest of the country eats I'd say, however the tourists seem to love all the jewish deli stuff like corned beef, pickles, pastrami, kosher hot dogs, sauerkraut etc.  I don't really know anyone that eats that way so it must be a tourist thing. 

Food is so globalized here in NY that it's impossible to pin down only one thing.  The trend now in NY is to eat farm-to-table, everyone is going organic, free-range, grass-fed, plant heavy.  Asian food is always popular and I can't go a full week without sushi.  So please, be more specific about what you like about ny.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Dec 12 10:29pm

brieven

Member since Thu 06 Dec 12

hello friends

how do you make a kosher hot dog , sauerkraut, and a waldarf salad?

greetings

dimitri

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 06 Dec 12 11:46pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

Dimitri forget about the dogs and stuff go for the deli pastrami......mmmmmmm
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef … trami.html

yummy  dribble

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 07 Dec 12 2:21am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Hi Dimitri - don't worry too much about Koukouvagia's post, she's from New York and tends to dispute anything anyone says, especially if it's about New York.
In reality, many New Yorkers do still eat Deli food, and I hope that many more people will come in and help you with great recipes and resources. Welcome to Jamie's forum!

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 07 Dec 12 1:37pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

mrpab wrote:

Hi Dimitri - don't worry too much about Koukouvagia's post, she's from New York and tends to dispute anything anyone says, especially if it's about New York.
In reality, many New Yorkers do still eat Deli food, and I hope that many more people will come in and help you with great recipes and resources. Welcome to Jamie's forum!

What's to worry about my post?  I was explaining my experience living here for 16yrs and being amongst NYorkers.  That's not very nice what you said, I've always been very cordial on the forums and have always related my own personal experience just like anyone else.  How rude.

I don't know how to make a kosher dog, but here are some brands that are commonly found here, maybe you can do a search for them where you are:
Sabrette
Hebrew National
Empire National
Aaron's
Best

A Waldorf Salad is very retro, again I don't think I have ever seen it on a menu but it is a dish that was created famously here in NY.  It most often made with poached chicken but you can leave it out.  The main components are apples, grapes, raisins, walnuts, celery, and a mayonnaise based dressing with lemon juice.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 07 Dec 12 8:11pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

koukouvagia wrote:

I don't know how to make a kosher dog, but here are some brands that are commonly found here, maybe you can do a search for them where you are:
Sabrette
Hebrew National
Empire National
Aaron's
Best

Being in Belgium, the OP might be lucky to find these brands there.........but I wouldn't hold me breath if I was him.

There are some very good recipes online for Waldorf Salad (& indeed others), some even made by NY chefs!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 07 Dec 12 11:48pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Kosher Hotdog ?

Do they use one of those soya based meat free sausages ... I wonder .

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 08 Dec 12 2:29am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

They are all beef and made to Kosher standards.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sat 08 Dec 12 2:44am)

Likes (0)