forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 16 Dec 12 12:40am

GriffReed

Member since Thu 24 Dec 09

Pretty packaging for home baking?

I am looking for a site that does pretty packaging for home made food gifts such as cookies, florentines, cupcakes. Not the functional white square boxes but something that is fitting for a tasty gift!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nicola

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 16 Dec 12 10:54am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Pretty packaging for home baking?

You don't say which country you are in....it would help to know this to advise you.

If you are in England, Lakeland Ltd have lots of ideas for how to package food gifts & they are of course online/mail order as well as having High-street shops in many towns. If you want stuff in larger numbers than for just a few gifts....check out local stationers/catering suppliers for an idea of what stock is available at good prices.

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 16 Dec 12 11:08am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

GriffReed.  Cookies is the clue.  Presuming you're in the States?  Don't think the States are big on Farm Shops where you can often find attractively packaged food  goodies, especially at Christmas time.  If that's no help, how about buying some cellophane wrapped cookies, etc and use Christmasssy ribbon to tie around each end?  Just a thought.  Good hunting.

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 16 Dec 12 11:27am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have bought some cellophane bags that I will be tying with a pretty ribbon .
They were from Sainsbury's  and have small silver foiled card in the base .
You can also buy cellophane bags from Lakeland. Have a look at their catalogue .

I keep an eye on eBay to see if anything suitable for packing gifts is avalible and this year I have bought some little baskets which I will pop a square of fabric in before putting in the baked goods etc.

I also have some sets of tins that I bought from Lidl done time ago .i Amy of may not use those this year .

Other things I use are those round coloured Ikea boxes , they stack inside each other and some are very useful sizes for things like biscuits .

Really you could use anything you like as long as the biscuits , Florentines etc are protected by a bag or paper that is suitable for food use .

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 16 Dec 12 1:31pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

When I'm in a press for time I use plastic disposable plates, usually red or green or a Christmas them.  I fill the plate with cookies and then place it on a large cut sheet of cling foil.  I wrap it up and tie it with a pretty ribbon.  Then I take a hair dryer and dry the cling foil which makes it shrink and tighten up against the cookies. 

In the markets I also find very pretty tins and use those.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 16 Dec 12 1:56pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Kmart or similar type of stores usually have a big selection of inexpensive gift bags and they might have boxes, but I don't recall seeing specifically food boxes.  You could use basic gift boxes . . . a nice way to handle that is to wrap the bottom and lid separately so the box is completely covered, yet re-usable, if you know what I mean.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 16 Dec 12 6:33pm

Pakman

Forum champ
From Estonia
Member since Tue 06 Oct 09

We'll be doing edible gifts this year and will be using the flip top glass jars with the rubber grommet for couscous mix and spiced nuts.

For cupcakes these are kinda cute
http://www.allthingscupcake.com/2009/12 … e-holders/

maybe you can find some ideas here
http://www.thecupcakewrapperco.com.au/T … r_Co..html

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 18 Dec 12 2:32am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

If all else fails, wrap it in foil and tie a pretty ribbon round it. It's pretty practical as it protects cookies etc. from knocks, and it's easily recycled. The main downside is that you can't see the contents and that, well , it looks like foil. But I'm throwing this out there in case you find yourself sitting there on Christmas Eve without having found a solution to this!

Another cheap solution is to find disposable foil pie dishes etc. that you can put your cookies in and then cover the top with clingfilm so you can see them. The basic silver is quite pretty and you can dress it up with ribbons etc.

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 18 Dec 12 11:34am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

If im right ..Koukouvagia suggests that once wrapped in cling film , the cling film can be shrunk to tighten it by blowing with a warm hair drier .. I am going to try this .. Sounds good and will keep the Christmas cookies in place as well !

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 18 Dec 12 7:16pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Any danger the hair dryer would make the cookies sweat or melt chocolate chips?

Likes (0)