forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 17 Dec 12 9:55am

fluffballs

Occupation Designer
From Cyprus
Member since Wed 08 Oct 08

Mango Chutney Duck....

I have a dinner party this coming saturday and I was going to make mango chutney chicken but while at the supermarket I thought I'd be a bit adventurous and bought a whole duck (3kg) to do it instead of chicken.

The original chicken recipe I have says to cut the chicken in small pieces and cover with the mango chutney sauce and then cook in the oven. When it is ready remove half the sauce and put it back in the oven so that the chicken goes nice and crispy.

Now my problem is that all the recipes I have found for mango chutney duck are only for a few pieces of duck so I have no idea how long to cook the duck for and if I should follow the same procedure as the chicken, i.e. cut into small pieces and cover with the mango chutney sauce....

Can someone enlighten me please?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 19 Dec 12 4:32pm

fluffballs

Occupation Designer
From Cyprus
Member since Wed 08 Oct 08

Re: Mango Chutney Duck....

nobody? sad

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 19 Dec 12 4:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It would take a lot longer to cook a whole duck:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/know … sary/duck/

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 19 Dec 12 6:41pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

I've never done this, but I wonder if you need to add a step to render out some of the fat, as duck has so much fat that I think it might not go crispy if cooked that way.

You could try steaming it for a while beforehand to render out the fat. Recipes I've seen for crispy duck steam it for 2 hours to get the fat out. That would also mean it was pre-cooked, so you wouldn't need to worry so much about the cooking time in the oven. Or else pre-roast it and pour off the fat before adding the sauce.

Last edited by hippytea (Wed 19 Dec 12 6:43pm)

Likes (0)