forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 06 Jan 13 10:52pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Re: This new JO site...

I know we already have it, but I don't see the point of showing online status. There's no messenger function here.

Did I mention that I don't like "likes"  whistle ?

Would probably dislike "dislikes" even more  whistle  whistle wink

I need a "tongue in cheek" emoticon  whistle wink wink whistle

Last edited by Maree (Mon 07 Jan 13 9:47am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#52 Mon 07 Jan 13 9:22am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

koukouvagia wrote:

wine~o wrote:

And as an aside....how about an indicator to show whether the poster is on/offline....perhaps just under the username...

At the moment I have to go to the forum home page, scroll to the bottom to see who is on-line...

It's right there under your avatar.  I can see you are online right now.

oops  oops  oops I'd never noticed.......

Spam link for Admin.

http://www.spam-uk.com/

Last edited by wine~o (Fri 11 Jan 13 1:22pm)

Likes (0)

#53 Mon 07 Jan 13 1:53pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I didn't want to saying anything MsPablo, but I too dislike the like buttons.  I've seen them on other forums sometimes called a "thanks" button but they serve little purpose and I hardly ever go back up to my previous post to even see if anyone has thanked me or liked me. 

Come to think of it, the like button on facebook is rather pointless without a dislike button.

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 07 Jan 13 2:07pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

koukouvagia wrote:

I didn't want to saying anything MsPablo, but I too dislike the like buttons.  I've seen them on other forums sometimes called a "thanks" button but they serve little purpose and I hardly ever go back up to my previous post to even see if anyone has thanked me or liked me. 

Come to think of it, the like button on facebook is rather pointless without a dislike button.

Love you MsP but I'm with Koukouvagia.

Think the "like" button on FB is useless and annoying without a "dislike" button.

PS Poor Merlin with us ungovernables ./

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#55 Mon 07 Jan 13 4:42pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I really appreciate and notice when someone hits the 'like' button on FB.  I don't think the absence of the 'like' feature is causing more conversation on the forum.  People often like a post and yet, have no content other than that to add, so they simply say nothing.  Especially for new members, it's sometimes hard to take it when your post seems to go unnoticed.  I felt it would be a simple way for people to acknowledge a post.  Most people are all too ready to state their differences and dislike of an opinion, so I think the dislike button is just a terrible idea, much too negative.  It would only cause bad feelings.

I won't take it personally if it is decided that we don't need a like button.  All I was trying to do is to pinpoint what it is that would make the forum more fun and more in keeping with the features that make other social media popular.

I know the 'like' feature is extremely popular on Facebook because of the amount it gets used.  Often people use it and then continue to write a comment as well, so it doesn't prevent people from communicating, in my opinion, it just gives people one more way of communicating or acknowledging that they've read something.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 07 Jan 13 4:46pm)

Likes (0)

#56 Mon 07 Jan 13 5:38pm

Sabs

Forum champ
Member since Mon 09 Aug 04

MsPablo wrote:

I really appreciate and notice when someone hits the 'like' button on FB.  I don't think the absence of the 'like' feature is causing more conversation on the forum.  People often like a post and yet, have no content other than that to add, so they simply say nothing.  Especially for new members, it's sometimes hard to take it when your post seems to go unnoticed.  I felt it would be a simple way for people to acknowledge a post.  Most people are all too ready to state their differences and dislike of an opinion, so I think the dislike button is just a terrible idea, much too negative.  It would only cause bad feelings.

I won't take it personally if it is decided that we don't need a like button.  All I was trying to do is to pinpoint what it is that would make the forum more fun and more in keeping with the features that make other social media popular.

I know the 'like' feature is extremely popular on Facebook because of the amount it gets used.  Often people use it and then continue to write a comment as well, so it doesn't prevent people from communicating, in my opinion, it just gives people one more way of communicating or acknowledging that they've read something.

Like!
Completely agree with mrsPablo. And indeed sometimes a like button is all  that I need in such cases like above when I'm in agreement with OP.

Likes (0)

#57 Mon 07 Jan 13 6:52pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

The like button is useful on FB, you agree or admire so 'like' if you don't then skip..a don't like button is thumbs down therefore making the poster uncomfotable for something more or less important to them.

I doubt my FB friends would be so mean to do that to others  big_smile wave

Likes (0)

#58 Mon 07 Jan 13 10:57pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

I appreciate the *like* button on Facebook too, MsPab & Sabs & Kye!  smile

With regards to Jamie's Forums - I have thought sometimes that a like button would be neat cool - tho, I would hope that would be used by people/forumers just "liking" a comment, not as a thank you - as, it doesn't take much to say: "Thanks (& a persons name!)" to be polite! I say that due to many (not all) posts/posters not being acknowledged for their time/effort/kindness in replying to a question!

Just my thoughts, too!  wink  smile

Likes (0)

#59 Fri 11 Jan 13 1:20pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Bit off topic, but members can edit their own posts at any time after posting, so I could go back to a post made last week and insert a sneaky spam link..

Perhaps a time limit on editing posts would help prevent this ...say 1 hour..should be enough to spot ant Typos.

I've just added one up there... whistle

Last edited by wine~o (Fri 11 Jan 13 1:23pm)

Likes (0)

#60 Fri 11 Jan 13 2:07pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

How would that prevent the spammer?  They can simply make a new post with a link.  I think the spam situation simply has to be dealt with on an ongoing basis because it is such an open forum.

Likes (0)