forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Thu 17 Jan 13 7:05pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

Re: Tesco "Value range" Beef burgers....

mummza wrote:

I think Brits in general dont like to eat anything that they consider to be classed as pets.

Well I suppose the one hing that has come out of this so called scandle is that the Brits will happily eat horse !!!

I think you are correct, a lot of Brits have a problem thinking of animals other than cows, pigs, sheep and chicken as food.  We've had some strange reaction from people to the idea of eating elk and deer.

But I do think the issue here is trust, and expecting there beef burgers to be beef.

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:34pm

CatyL

Occupation Free Lance Editor
From San Francisco CA
Member since Mon 26 Apr 10

The Tesco counterpart, on this side o' the Pond, is Costco. 

I haven't heard anything, here, about a horse meat fiasco.  However, the pre-made hamburger patties at Costco are the worst.   I made the mistake of buying a large number of them, as part of the "food committee" for a large picnic.   They cook too quickly to a dry consistency, with no flavor (otherwise, they're fine - lol). 

It was the first, last, ONLY time for me investing in pre-made patties.

PS: Loved the horse meat jokes! big_smile

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:42pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

wine~o wrote:

Facebook??? is that old site still going??? you'll be telling me next that people still "Tweet"... tongue

I don't know how to tweet, but have lots of sqeeks with my FB friends  big_smile  wink

Likes (0)

#34 Thu 17 Jan 13 8:47pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Jeux non compende pas??

Edit...that's about the limit of my French Kye... oops

Last edited by wine~o (Thu 17 Jan 13 8:48pm)

Likes (0)

#35 Thu 17 Jan 13 11:54pm

Kye

Forum super champ

Je ne comprends pas  wink

Was trying to rhyme tweet, used a word that matched (spelt wrongly and out of place) i'll replace it with neat/awesome  smile

= My FB friends, most of them i 'met' here.

wine et o if we are not here we are >>> there lol

Likes (0)

#36 Fri 18 Jan 13 12:42am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

Horsey "No, thanks we're British"...how about Soylent Green? lol

Likes (0)

#37 Fri 18 Jan 13 3:55am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

hey, I got it Kye! Alors, que c'etait mignon!

Likes (0)

#38 Fri 18 Jan 13 6:57am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

CatyL wrote:

The Tesco counterpart, on this side o' the Pond, is Costco.

No CatyL , it's quite different to Costco , we have Costco here .
Tesco's are more in the style of something like WalMart
The Value range of products is cheap as the name suggests , I have no idea about the actual cost of these burgers , but I have found a list on the Tesco's site of what the burgers contain ....the ingredients are ...

Beef (63%),Onion (10%) ,Wheat Flour ,Water ,Beef Fat ,Soya Protein Isolate ,Salt ,Onion Powder ,Yeast ,Sugar ,Barley Malt Extract ,Garlic Powder ,White Pepper Extract ,Celery Extract ,Onion Extract

As you see there is no mention of horse .
This is the issue .
The people who buy these burgers have clearly been enjoying the taste of them as they were being manufactured and sold , so from that I take it that there was no issue with the taste at all , but , probably now there are many who will say that they won't buy them again because of them containing horse meat.

The main issue as far as I can see it is the deception as horse has not been mentioned on the label . There are strict rules about labels on food products and not mentioning it could be illegal .

But another issue has to be is one of the main ingredients in the burgers is not mentioned .. What else is being added that is not mentioned either .. And what comes under that title 'beef' ?

Many people choose Tesco's as their main supermarket  and trust their products , trust will have been broken but that won't stop the majority shopping there .
This won't really harm their reputation as far as shoppers are concerned , but what it has done is open the eyes of many people that they do not always know what they are eating and also it's paved the way for a whole load of jokes and spoof photographs which are circulating the Internet .
Jokes will carry on fit ages and I am sure 'horse burger ' will be mentioned at many summer BBQ's this year .

Last edited by mummza (Fri 18 Jan 13 8:11am)

Likes (0)

#39 Fri 18 Jan 13 11:29am

Kye

Forum super champ

Likes (0)

#40 Fri 18 Jan 13 11:31am

Kye

Forum super champ

Burger King uses the same supplier yikes  help  lol  clap

A horse looking for its family in Tescos:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/te … us-1543040

Last edited by Kye (Fri 18 Jan 13 11:33am)

Likes (0)