forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 23 Jan 13 4:54am

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Re: Oil the meat, or the pan...??

I oil the meat if it is in large pieces ie steaks, chicken breast, roasts etc but the pan if smaller pieces ie casseroles, stir fry etc.

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 23 Jan 13 9:13am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

wine~o wrote:

Following on from last nights "Food tube" launch, Gennaro oils the pan and adds the chicken breast, now when I'm cooking (frying) meat I start with a dry pan, and add seasoned, oiled meat...unless we are talking mince or small medallians etc.

Which do you do boys and girls ??

I wouldn't call what Gennaro was doing frying  For most of the cooking time I would say it was more a sautee/braise.  ..  It was a very low heat pan, and then lidded. He only cranked the heat up to what could be called a fry  at the very end to get some colour. 

I oil the pan or if on the grill , I oil the grates in most instances of high heat cooking.  I have seen some chefs(jamie included) that advocate oiling steak or meat before it goes on the grill but I totally disagree with that.  The oil on the meat hitting that high heat just burns and leaves a scorched bitter funk taste on the meat.  I wipe the hot grates just before  the meat goes on , but wait til any white/grey smoke haze clears before putting the meat on.  This lets the voc's burn off the grate but still keeps the grill non-stick from the carbon left behind.  This avoids the scorch funk.   In a pan  I make sure the pan isn't hotter than smoke point of the oil if I am using a fair bit  of oil, or alternately I wipe out the pan with an  oiled piece of paper towel or clean cotton rag and wait for the burn off just the same as the grill , before adding ingredients.  I do this with some stir fry items, especially if they are very moist, for example bok choy I have already steamed and shocked with ice water.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#13 Wed 23 Jan 13 12:56pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Luvmegrub wrote:

We oil the meat if it's going on the BBQ.

I had a horrible mess the other week with burgers cooked on the griddle pan in the kitchen.  I oiled the burgers but somehow they stuck to all the ridges and made a right mess - any tips for me?  I did wait until they were properly cooked before I flipped them, once only.

Best tip I know to stop them sticking is to make sure the pan is very hot!

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 23 Jan 13 9:15pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Ashen wrote:

wine~o wrote:

Following on from last nights "Food tube" launch, Gennaro oils the pan and adds the chicken breast, now when I'm cooking (frying) meat I start with a dry pan, and add seasoned, oiled meat...unless we are talking mince or small medallians etc.

Which do you do boys and girls ??

I wouldn't call what Gennaro was doing frying  For most of the cooking time I would say it was more a sautee/braise.  ..  It was a very low heat pan, and then lidded. He only cranked the heat up to what could be called a fry  at the very end to get some colour..

I know....but it gave me the perfect opportunity to ask a question.... wink

and mention "Food tube " again....

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 23 Jan 13 10:18pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Luvmegrub wrote:

We oil the meat if it's going on the BBQ.

I had a horrible mess the other week with burgers cooked on the griddle pan in the kitchen.  I oiled the burgers but somehow they stuck to all the ridges and made a right mess - any tips for me?  I did wait until they were properly cooked before I flipped them, once only.

this has also happened to me as well , I make sure that the griddle is really hot before I put the burgers on it but they do release themseves at the poit thet they have sealed sufficiently which means that they can not be turned frequently.
Burgers is something that I only cook a couple of times a year .

Likes (0)

#16 Thu 24 Jan 13 1:13pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

wine~o wrote:

Right, I'm cooking chicken breast tonight (On the bone) and I'm oiling the breast...I might attempt one of my infamous videos that go horribly wrong..... crossed

Badly edited video..only click on this if you are seriously bored..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irS5-4GK … e=youtu.be

Likes (0)

#17 Thu 24 Jan 13 1:41pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

I use oil in marinades from time to time, but other than that I don't oil the meat.
But I heat the pan first and then add the oil, then the meat.
The pan heats up faster they say (don't really know), the grease won't overheat.

Usually I need more oil than the oil that would stick to the meat if I oiled the meat. Frying meat in too little oil usually leads to burned spots while other bits don't get cooked.

Likes (0)