Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 23 Jan 13 2:50pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Porridge !

The UK is going through a snowey spell , it is in this very sort of weather that my darling reaches for the old and battered double saucepan and makes porridge .
He gets the oats and  milking I the top pan in the evening , puts the water ready in he base pan and first thing in the morning he simply switches on the heat under he pan . Such an easy effortless way of make the porridge. It just needs a stir before its served .

Then this is where things start to vary ... I like soft brown sugar on the porridge
http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=79554
He likes dark brown muscavado sugar on his .
When the children were small some used to have golden syrup on their porridge . Others white or brown sugar .

I thought it might be good to see what others put on their porridge  so.......

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 23 Jan 13 3:02pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Re: Porridge !

I approve of this thread so very much big_smile

I'll always do my porridge like my grandma does - a good pinch of salt, cooked slowly with sultanas so they get all fat and juicy, a little cinnamon and topped with dark brown sugar. No milk as I'm not very fond of it, and a little more water than usual too - none of that weighty stodge!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 23 Jan 13 3:43pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Merlin, feel free to come to stay when the weather gets cooler here wink. You'll be on porridge duty.

PS That's how my Nan made it, too. More "soupy" rather than "stand your spoon up on it" style.

Last edited by Maree (Wed 23 Jan 13 3:47pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#4 Wed 23 Jan 13 4:04pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

For me it is:
Milk all the way! Not soupy, but not stand your spoon up either. Risotto more like.

For toppings:
Cane sugar for a crunch.
Or black treacle.
Slightly fried banana slices (caramelized in a non stick pan)

wink

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 23 Jan 13 4:23pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Susanne, Good to see you. Risotto is probably a more apt description for me, too.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Wed 23 Jan 13 4:54pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Porridge in this sort of weather is probably the thing I miss most about not eating grains any more - but when I did make it, I'd put 1 part oats to 3 parts water, a good pinch of salt, and leave to soak overnight.  Then slowly heat until the porridge is cooked in the morning, adding more water if necessary.  Served with milk and salt
yummy

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 23 Jan 13 5:00pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

I can't say that i'm a big fan of the stuff, but it is very lovely on a cold winter morning.  I like mine with a little dark brown sugar and extra cinnamon.  I also would have to agree with the risotto comment.  My grandma would make this for me and my grandfather when i was young, but hers was ALWAYS so thick you could barely take the spoon out.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 23 Jan 13 7:18pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I'm with the risotto consistency too.  But I like to make mine with all milk, and no salt:puke:   Then I like it with some more milk, a little sugar and some cinamon.  But I normally make mine in the microwave, as I have to go out so early, it needs to be a bit quicker.

The funny thing is if Tina (my lovely little Jack Russell) hears the microwave in the morning, then she knows it's porridge, and gets really excited, because she knows she'll get some too! lol

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 23 Jan 13 8:04pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Salt....like the Scots do...

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 23 Jan 13 8:49pm

Pakman