forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 30 Jan 13 5:27pm

kah22

Member since Mon 04 Apr 11

Food Processor For Pastry Dough

Money is tight at the moment sad so just before Christmas I bought a Lidl food processor. Now to be honest it has done everything  I've asked of it so far; in the main it is used for kneading my bread.

However, I'd like to obtain a processor or blender that will blitz butter and flour together for the likes of shortcrust or puff pastry. Up until now I've been doing it by hand but would like to speed  things up a little.

So can anyone suggest a processor/blender that will help me in this regard? I want something economical as all it will be used for is pastry blending.

Perhaps when I win the lottery I'll invest in a new kitchen and a KitchenAid - but not just now  big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 30 Jan 13 5:47pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Food Processor For Pastry Dough

I use the chopping blade on the food processor for cutting butter in to a pie dough or biscuit/scone dough and it works well for pasta dough,  the KitchenAid mixer to cream butter for cakes and cookies and for mixing bread doughs.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 30 Jan 13 6:35pm

BritFinn

Forum champ
Occupation Opiskelija
From Finland
Member since Thu 26 Aug 10

I use my regular food processor for pastry.  You just have to be careful adding the water, in case you add too much.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 30 Jan 13 10:07pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

And add as the motor is running via the tube.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Wed 30 Jan 13 10:22pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Have everything well-chilled and ready . . . and add the chilled water through the tube as stated above, the moment it comes together, turn it out and rest it.

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 30 Jan 13 10:30pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I have used my food processor successfully for pastry too. I use the metal blade to cut the butter into the flour. If I am on form I add the little bit of chilled water and wizz just to bring it together. Gorgeous! If I need to be more careful I take the crumbed mixture into another bowl and then add the water and bring it together with my hands.

I don't think any other kind of machine could do any better! So good luck putting yours to the test! smile

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 31 Jan 13 8:30am

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Kah, if you're on tight budget, you wouldn't go far wrong in buying an electric hand mixer.  You'll always find it useful even when you've reached the dizzy heights of acquiring a KitchenAid.  I've even used mine for mashing potato, etc.

As to how much chilled water to use for pastry.  A good rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon of water to each ounce flour.

Good luck.

Likes (0)