Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Wed 06 Mar 13 12:48pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Greek food, with love

Skordalia
This garlicky potato puree is served as a dip all over Greece.  It can be served hot or cold, thick or runny, and is traditionally served with bacalao, as a spread for bread or vegetables. 

Boil potatoes for mash, along with one bay leaf.  As you are waiting for those to cook make the garlic puree.  Put one head of garlic cloves into a food processor along with the juice of one lemon.  Turn on the food processor and drizzle in olive oil until the mixture is smooth and creamy.  Taste and season for flavor. 

When the potatoes are cooked and drained, mash along with the garlic puree and add olive oil as needed.  Leave thick or thin out with some vegetable stock.

Likes (0)

#32 Fri 08 Mar 13 12:51pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Eat your weeds!

I'm convinced that one of the main reasons why the mediterranean diet is so healthy is because we eat a lot of weeds, i.e. dark leafy greens.  The method of preparation couldn't be simpler.  Boil, strain, serve drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.  The broth from the greens is superb, I drink it like tea and keep some in the fridge for the next few days.  Italians I believe like to blanch and then quickly sautee maybe with some garlic and chili flakes.  Also very good.

Mondays are my leafy green cooking day.  I make a huge batch and keep in the fridge - it lasts me a few days and I serve them along with every meal.   The wild varieties are the tastiest but I make do with what my local grocery has to offer.  You can make these with:

- dandelions
- swiss chard
- escarole
- spinach
- kale
- nettles
- chickory
- purslane

Ah, there are too many to name.

Likes (0)

#33 Tue 19 Mar 13 1:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Yesterday was Kathari Deftera, "Clean Monday" which is a holiday that marks the beginning of a 7week period of fasting in the Orthodox religion.  Fasting means to abstain from eating animals with blood, or eating animal products of animals with blood.  Certain seafood is allowed, as are snails.

Kathari Deftera is celebrated in Greece by going outdoors and flying kites.  It is a national holiday and a typical meal served is taramosalata (fish roe spread), gigantes (giant beans cooked in tomato sauce), horta, salads, grilled octopus, and the meal is always accompanied by lagana - a type of flat bread made only on this holiday.

Likes (0)