#11 Mon 25 Feb 13 8:28pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Hare...

HI wine~o!
I love hare, in fact I love game in general, really. We have a really nice recipe for it and since its still cold out there (and here...) I think a stew is just what you need to do big_smile

Its very frequent here to marinade game for a day before actually cooking, by the way.
Get some onions, garlic, carrots, celery and fry them in olive oil.
Dust the hare with some flour and add to the veg. Fry for a couple of mins both sides of the meat bits. (Usually when cooking hare or rabbit I cook the legs and shanks before and then a while after add the loin as they have different cooking times) Add the marinade and some chicken stock. Simmer for a while. Add savoy cabbage cut in julienne and a can of baked beans  and thats pretty much it.
There are a few herbs you can use, thyme, mint, sage, bay or even rosemary, although if its a "real" hare you may not want to overuse herbs.

Enjoy thumbsup

Likes (0)

#12 Tue 26 Feb 13 9:10am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Sounds fantastic, Sergio, might leave out the baked beans though..

Likes (0)

#13 Tue 26 Feb 13 9:39am

elementsresto

Occupation Consulting
From New York
Member since Mon 04 Feb 13

They say hare meat really taste good but I haven't tried eating it. It would be very tasty to marinate it and then grill it. hmmm

Likes (0)

#14 Tue 26 Feb 13 10:31am

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Interesting thread! I saw the most magnificent-looking hares hanging in Borough Market this weekend, and as curious as I was I didn't want to buy one as I've never cooked one before. I'd imagine they'd make a pretty great stew though?

Likes (0)

#15 Tue 26 Feb 13 12:56pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I remember seeing some hares there at Borough market when I was there on a visit a while ago , they were hanging and still had their fur on .
Thinking about buying one can be quite daunting if you have never skinned a rabbit before .

Likes (0)

#16 Tue 26 Feb 13 9:08pm

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Won't they skin it for you? I've never seen hare before, but the big fishmonger at Glasgow Cross has rabbits hanging in the fur, and they skin and joint them for you at point of sale, no charge. Same for the pheasants. I would have thought any game retailer would be willing to do this, otherwise they'll miss out on a big sector of the market.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 27 Feb 13 9:37am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

this will sound bad but skinnning a rabbit is actually very easy, it is like pulling a little sweater off.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#18 Wed 27 Feb 13 4:23pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Ashen wrote:

this will sound bad but skinnning a rabbit is actually very easy, it is like pulling a little sweater off.

You'll certainly be pulling off the rabbits sweater, thats for sure
smile

Likes (0)