Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 07 Mar 13 12:41pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

pizza dough

This Saturday i would like to have a go at making my own pizza.
Firstly I will be completely honest and say I will be using a pizza mix, I just have to add warm water, knead for 5mins, wait for it to rise for about ten mins, shape, add toppings and cook.
Now then i would like to be prepared earlier in the day so i have less to do later in the eve.
So i was wondering if it would be possible to make the dough in the day, put it in the pizza tray it will be coked in then leave it till i add toppings and cook in the eve or even better, make the entire pizza up to the point of putting in the oven, just pop it in when we are ready..... just a bit worried by doing it this way the base may go soggy  smile

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 07 Mar 13 12:52pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: pizza dough

No no no no no.  Pizza is very quick to assemble as long as you have the ingredients and toppings prepped.  Let your dough rise as needed, do not prebake it or will come out dry when you reheat it.  Make your sauce early in the day.  Cut up all your toppings into small containers ready to top the pizza.  Shred the cheese.  Clean the basil leaves. 

Heat your oven to 500F, let it get good and hot.  On a baking sheet spread some olive oil.  Then stretch your dough out, shouldn't take more than 3min honestly.  Put your toppings on and throw in the oven.  As long as you're doing thin crust the pizza should be cooked in 10 min. 

... a premade pizza mix?  I'll just say that making pizza dough is just as easy as using a premade mix.  The hard part is the kneading and the waiting for it to rise and the premade mix won't let you off the hook with that.  Honestly, I do not even measure my ingredients.  Just put some yeast in a cup with a small bit of sugar and some warm water for about 5 minutes.  Throw some flour in a bowl, add some salt and drizzle it with olive oil.  Add enough water to get a soft dough.  Knead it really good.  Grease a large bowl with olive oil and put the dough in it and cover with a clean cloth.  Place it in a warm corner of the kitchen and leave it alone.  You'll have ready dough in an hour.  Sorry to lecture.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 07 Mar 13 1:10pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

Thanks for the advice, i wouldn't have precooked the dough it but your advise has been invaluable. So i will let my dough rise then leave it till later to stretch out etc etc, and will pre prepare my toppings.....  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 07 Mar 13 2:14pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

If you're in a real rush about dough, you can always pick up fresh dough at your local pizzeria.  Most of them will sell some of their dough for a cheap price.  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 07 Mar 13 2:36pm

joobes

Forum champ
From Somerset, England

No thats fine.... I will make the dough in the day then assemble in the eve.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 08 Mar 13 1:19pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

I never use oil for the trays when I make pizza. I scatter with semolina. Never have a problem with sticking. I think it was Jamie's recipe from the Italian book where that came from. I use his recipe for the dough too. I will often make it the night before along with the toppings as Koukouvagia said in covered bowls etc. Then when my hungry crew arrive in, the oven gets turned on and by the time I have all assembled the oven is hot enough and the boys are looking forward to grub. It is a really handy thing if you have visiting children, they can dress their own pizza and you can be sure they will eat it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 08 Mar 13 2:51pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I don't bother with the (pre) yeast, water and sugar step.

Everything gets bunged in together for the crust.

And I, also, use polenta or semolina on the peel/ an inverted heavy, flat tray.

I don't oil.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#8 Fri 08 Mar 13 3:08pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I was very glad I took the extra trouble of 'proofing' my yeast last time I baked because the yeast was dead and I could have ruined expensive gluten-free flours.  The yeast almost always works these days, but that one time it doesn't you'll be glad you proofed ahead of time.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 08 Mar 13 3:38pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

MsPablo wrote:

I was very glad I took the extra trouble of 'proofing' my yeast last time I baked because the yeast was dead and I could have ruined expensive gluten-free flours.  The yeast almost always works these days, but that one time it doesn't you'll be glad you proofed ahead of time.

I go through yeast very quickly.

For those who don't, please take head of MsP's words.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#10 Fri 08 Mar 13 4:18pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Looking for a great pizza sauce recipe.  Have been using store bought sauce then adding spices to it.  Please let me know.  Something with lots of garlic maybe?

Likes (0)