Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Fri 08 Mar 13 4:37pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: pizza dough

Tin of tomatoes (Whole not chopped) put the tomatoes only in a jug (Not the juice at this stage)

Blitz up  with a stick blender together with a clove or 2 of garlic, some fresh basil or oregano..a little black pepper..(No salt as there is salt in the tinned tommys)

If you want add some chilli flakes..not too much..

Once you've blitzed check adjust the thickness by adding some of the juice from the tomatoes as required..

Likes (0)

#12 Fri 08 Mar 13 6:30pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I sautee onions and garlic very slowly until translucent, along with plenty of oregano and chili flakes.  Add the canned tomatoes and cook for about 15min.  After I turn off the heat I add a handful of freshly chopped basil.

Likes (0)

#13 Fri 08 Mar 13 7:58pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Oh FFS...there are more spammers than active members.... roll  roll

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 09 Mar 13 3:02pm

bentpenny

From CANADA
Member since Wed 09 May 07

Thanks guys, gonna have to try making it this week

Likes (0)

#15 Fri 15 Mar 13 4:14pm

joobes

Forum champ
Occupation My OH and I own a new/secondhand bookshop.
From Somerset, England
Member since Wed 20 Feb 08

I made my pizza sauce by gently cooking sliced garlic and fresh basil, added plum tomatoes from a tin (not the juice) pinch of sugar and a squirt of tomato puree and pepper no salt, simmered and reduced it right down, then cooled it. Came out with the perfect amount i needed.

Last edited by joobes (Fri 15 Mar 13 4:49pm)

Likes (0)

#16 Fri 15 Mar 13 9:58pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Is "tomato purée" tomato paste (concentrated) or passata (sold in 700ml bottles here)?

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#17 Sat 16 Mar 13 7:54am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

wine~o wrote:

(No salt as there is salt in the tinned tommys)

Really? Pretty sure this isn't always the case. Check your can first, if there is no salt you will need to add a bit or the toms will be bitter.

Re: the question of whether to prep the pizza beforehand, it's worth remembering that if you have an electric oven it will take a good 20min to reach pizza heat, so you have all that time to flatten your dough and top it.

Proving the dough, making the sauce and prepping the other toppings in advance is a good idea, though. You can prove the dough in the fridge if you're making it well in advance.

I make pizza sauce with passata, a pinch of salt, a big pinch of sugar, garlic and whatever other herbs come to hand. I usually add rosemary as we have a bush - in summer I'll add basil if I have a plant going. I cook the passata for a while to thicken it. If adding rosemary, I add at the beginning and simmer in the sauce; basil goes in at the end. Garlic goes in at the beginning.

Last edited by hippytea (Sat 16 Mar 13 7:57am)

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 16 Mar 13 9:39pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Pizza ovens usually go to a high heat. Heston turned his oven on to the cleaning cycle to get to 500 and something, when he did perfect pizza. Most home ovens don’t get near this.
I mix semolina and 00 flour, so does Jamie I think. I have been out of practice, so this week’s pizzas were a bit of an experiment. OK but not great.
I have no pizza stone I used Baking Parchment on top of the rack. Maximum heat , alas only 250.
Also the acronym KISS is very good for toppings (Keep It Simple Stupid).
Anchovies are a great one, mandolin fennel or onion. River Cottage Three good things and Jamie’s Italy Book has some great ideas.
Flavoured oil instead of things that burn. My tomato sauce was reduced tomatoes and Tomato puree, seasoned to taste.
http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/kal … chestnuts/
(what a cool idea for a topping) plus Hugh’s Pizza recipe

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 17 Mar 13 11:54am

hippytea

Occupation Chief cook and bottle-washer
From Scotland
Member since Mon 12 Sep 11

Yes, I've never measured ours, but I reckon Max is somewhere in the 260-270C range.

We have a multi-fuel stove (that's a heating stove in the sitting room, not a cooking stove), and I have a notion of trying to use that as a pizza oven by sitting a stone on the grate and firing it up with wood rather than coal. I overloaded it recently with smokeless fuel and the outside started to glow dark red in patches, which means the OUTSIDE had topped 475C (shocked no, that's not supposed to happen! I cooled it down pretty fast when I noticed that!) - so I reckon it should be easy enough to get the inside up to pizza heat, even burning wood. The tricky part would be sustaining the heat, as this thing rips through wood at an amazing rate! But then, a pizza doesn't take long to cook.

Likes (0)

#20 Thu 21 Mar 13 4:01pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Sounds like a good idea, Let us know what happens.
Gordon Ramsay has a home technique of frying pizza then grilling it , if I remember right.

Likes (0)