forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 09 Mar 13 3:10pm

homecook6

Member since Sat 09 Mar 13

cake from scratch

I can't find a recipe for cake that is as light and fluffy as a cake mix.  They all have a lovely flavour but are heavier and denser than a mix.  Even when I google "cake recipe" many of them start with a cake mix!
I try to avoid processed food and would love to find a recipe for a cake that was just as fluffy as a cake mix.  What do you suggest?

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 09 Mar 13 3:31pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

Re: cake from scratch

Hiya Homecook.  First of all, what type of cake are you trying to better?  Can't say I've ever used a cake mix in my life.  Tell us the type of cake and we can take it from there.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 09 Mar 13 5:43pm

homecook6

Plain white cake or devils food.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 09 Mar 13 10:27pm

Birdymum

Forum champ
From Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Member since Thu 23 Oct 08

If you want a really light and fluffy cake then why not try making a sponge cake?
The thing is that with a sponge you do have to make sure the egg mix triples in size so an electric beater of some kind is needed.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9598/basic+sponge+cake

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 09 Mar 13 11:09pm

homecook6

Not exactly what I'm looking for but thanks for the advice anyway smile  There must be something in the processing that makes them so fluffy...****.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 10 Mar 13 12:19am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Hi homecook,

I have a recipe that you might like - it really depends on the flour you use. I use White Wings gluten free flour which is rice flour based so is very light, fluffy and really good with any add-ins (chocolate chips, apple & cinnamon etc):

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup flour
3 large eggs

Method:
Cream butter and sugar.
Add one egg at a time until totally combined.
Add flour and mix on low until all flour is incorporated.

Makes great cupcakes with apple pieces in the middle and cinnamon & sugar dusted on top. Great by itself too.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 10 Mar 13 3:46am

homecook6

Thanks.  I will give this one a try  cool

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 Mar 13 10:43am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

It's probably just finer ground flour and more sugar that make packet cakes so light.

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 10 Mar 13 4:01pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

It's the leavening, which is usually not part of a sponge cake.  One normally uses cake flour for fine cakes which is milled finer than all-purpose flour.

eta:  Baking cakes with professional results is tricky because every step and the ingredients and equipment used make a difference in the end product.   Still, I always find that barring serious mistakes like a dense texture, etc., homemade tastes fresher and is always preferable to a mix.

Last edited by MsPablo (Sun 10 Mar 13 4:04pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 11 Mar 13 3:11am

homecook6

Thanks Ms. Pablo for your answer.  it makes the most sense.  I usually do make homemade just because I like make everything possible from scratch.  This is just a conundrum that has puzzled me for a very long time.  And once in a while, depending on the result I'm trying to achieve,  I end up resorting to the dreaded processed cake mix. evil

Likes (0)