forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 27 Mar 13 5:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Grocery Guilt

MrP was complaining out loud in the grocery store the other day about how bad the broccoli looked.  A guy he described as looking like he might be vegan and a health nut raved about how good the Brussels Sprouts looked.  MrP doesn't like Brussels Sprouts, but was too self-conscious to tell the guy, so he bought them.

I sometimes feel too self-conscious to buy sweets or snacks because I don't want people in the grocery store to judge me.

Anyone else ever feel this way?

(Of course, nothing stops me from buying ice cream.  Don't stand between me and my ice cream)

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 27 Mar 13 5:59pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Grocery Guilt

sorry MsP ... no I dont feel guilty , just take a look in other peoples shpping trollys and baskets and all your guilt will fly away !
lol

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 27 Mar 13 6:24pm

Thistledo

Occupation Retired something or other
From English immigrant in S. Wales
Member since Fri 07 Dec 12

MrsP, I would never feel guilty about anything I bought in a supermarket.  The thought would never cross my mind and I certainly don't have the time to look at others' shopping.  In and out, that's my policy.

Nobody is in a position to make judgements on anyone, about anything.  You perhaps lack a bit of self esteem.  Educate yourself that you're as good as the next person.

As for your hubby buying sprouts when he didn't want them, just because he didn't want to offend - well, I'm speechless!

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 27 Mar 13 6:48pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Well, almost anyone can benefit from therapy! help   Well, I do look at what others are buying sometimes if the tabloids lining the check out area don't have any really twisted sicko headlines that hold my attention because it is so boring standing in the check out line.

I once saw a lady with a cart/trolley overloaded with nothing but a product called 'Hamburger Helper'  (meant to mimic a ground beef stroganoff and one adds ground meat to it) and a vegetarian meat substitute - like hundreds of boxes of both and nothing else.  I had visions of six or seven little kids eating that stuff for dinner every day and never tasting another food.  I'm sure it was for one big church party or something like that, but I kind of like my twisted, bad-mother version better.

I laughed about the brussels sprouts because they are his nemesis, he really can not bring himself to eat them, so it'll be up to me which is fine by me.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 27 Mar 13 6:53pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Excuse me, I am laying here trying to rest after my exercises and posting too much (the sound of Judy Garland singing 'I don't care' is playing somewhere in the back of my mind while she swings her arms wildly up and down - a magic film moment if ever there was one) and double posting, so kill me.

I love to see what single guys buy in the grocery store.  I assume they are single because they buy one steak, one tomato, corn chips, The Want Ads, and really trashy store brand breakfast danish.  Ya think they're single much?  Yah! big_smile

Likes (0)

#6 Wed 27 Mar 13 11:06pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Yea I feel guilty sometimes if I grab a bag of cheetos.  I do tend to look in other people's shopping carts and generally like to observe people shopping.

Older people tend to buy less items.  At the deli I might ask for a half/pound of sliced ham, but an older lady asks for "4 slices of ham" instead. 

There is a fire station close to us and I often see a group of firefighters come in to do shopping and they buy lots of bulk items. 

I watch Moms very closely and do tend to get very judgy when I see a lot of cookies and juices and pre packaged "kid" stuff, boxed mac n cheese for example. 

But all in all I'd have to say that people in NYC are mindful of their food.  I see carts brimming with fresh produce and organic dairy etc.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 28 Mar 13 9:04am

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Am I judgemental of what other people put in their shopping trolley??

Too **** right I am...

You see the "fat Mums" with their "even fatter kids" and a trolley full of frozen pizzas, ready meals, crisps...not a fresh vegetable in sight..and then they load 6 x 2 litre bottles of "Diet" coke in there.... whistle

Another thing I've noticed over the last couple of years is "The shopping trolley hunch" ....Instead of standing up right and holding the handles of trolley with their hands, they rest their forearms along the length of the handle and "lean" on the trolley... God only knows what damage they're doing to their backs....

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 28 Mar 13 9:25am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I wonder what the grocery shopper watchers make of  my purchases.

tonight I stopped for 

2 lb bag of brown rice, real fruit juice popsicles , two bottles of powerade ( similar to gatorade) .

yesterday I stopped for

lemons, oranges, bananas, pears,a pineapple, apples, bread, five alive fruit juice, lysol wipes, lysol spray, skinless chicken thighs, also got sidetracked in the bulk section and grabbed  a scoop of  jelly beans and sour keys.

do you think data mining would figure out that someone in my house has a bad norovirus( stomach flu)    hmm  hmm

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#9 Thu 28 Mar 13 12:33pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

wine~o wrote:

Am I judgemental of what other people put in their shopping trolley??

Too **** right I am...

You see the "fat Mums" with their "even fatter kids" and a trolley full of frozen pizzas, ready meals, crisps...not a fresh vegetable in sight..and then they load 6 x 2 litre bottles of "Diet" coke in there.... whistle

Another thing I've noticed over the last couple of years is "The shopping trolley hunch" ....Instead of standing up right and holding the handles of trolley with their hands, they rest their forearms along the length of the handle and "lean" on the trolley... God only knows what damage they're doing to their backs....

Ha thanks for being honest.  But maybe it's time we stop blaming the consumer and stop blaming the jerks who manufacture this junk!  That's probably the only way that we'll get it to change.  I mean, if koolaid is on sale every week then they're going to buy it.  The truth is that the stuff we shouldn't be eating is mighty cheap compared to the stuff we should be eating.  Plus, it doesn't perish!

Hunching over the cart... yes but you see that out of the grocery store too.  Slumping over in their seats in the subway, hunched over while at their desks, sprawling out on the couch.  We live in a world of people living their lives like rolley polleys.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 28 Mar 13 1:32pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Ashen, hope she's better soon.  I thought it must be something like that.

I get comments from the cashiers - looks like you're putting together a great dinner, can I come over, those plums are fantastic and no one else is buying them, what is this - me - radicchio/tuscan kale, etc.  and sometimes they say things like - this is on sale at another store!  It pays to be nice to the cashiers.

Likes (0)