Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 01 May 13 2:17pm

BlueSoil

Member since Wed 01 May 13

A brilliant idea...protect food growing land in the UK

Our best quality soils are not protected for food growing in the UK. Indeed our national planning system doesn't protect or recognise the value of land for food. Is food growing not a rather important land use, especially now that global food systems are unpredictable and vulnerable? ow that we cannot afford to trade our health and wellbeing for supermarket profits?

If we want to respond properly to this in the UK we can start by protecting our best soils for food production. The sustainable resilient food systems so many of us are working to create will then have real foundations.

In Bristol the Blue Finger Alliance is wrestling with all this, focussing on a strip of Grade 1 land there known as The Blue Finger - It's called this because Grade 1 is coloured blue on agricultural land classification maps.

Less than 3% of the UK is Grade 1 and Grades 1, 2 and 3a are together known as Best and Most Versatile land (BMV). They used to be protected until the 1980's and now most of the Blue Finger is unproductive when it could be feeding greater Bristol where there's a huge market for local produce.

Right now, Bristol City COuncil want to safeguard a large tract of Blue Finger land for a Park and Ride. How many people could that land be feeding? Forever!

Your support would be hugely welcome so head over to www.bluefingeralliance.org.uk and check out the blog www.bluefingerfood.wordpress.com and connect with us on @bluefingersoil to find out more and get in touch with your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!
Maddy, for the Blue Finger project.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 01 May 13 10:23pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

Re: A brilliant idea...protect food growing land in the UK

I live in Italy and your post makes me think to all the fields covered with "pannelli fotovoltaici" to produce electric power, we are selling the productive soil of our gradchildren hmm

keep posting smile

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 01 May 13 11:56pm

BlueSoil

Member since Wed 01 May 13

Hello Grandmadamada (great name)

I think a good way to go about it is to know the quality of your soils and use the lowest quality first for things like houses, solar panels, whatever takes the soil out of use. That's a very good principle. A sequential approach.
Is there any protection for food land in Italy?

Maddy

Keep posting  smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 02 May 13 12:30am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

there are some municipalities called virtuosi which do not build houses if there are old ones to be restructured (??), but I think there is no similar way of thinking on how to use our land with a good perspective

is  all that on twitter to follow??

Likes (0)