forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Wed 22 May 13 9:03am

useimagination

Occupation Archivist/Museum assistant
From Namibia,Africa
Member since Tue 12 Feb 13

Re: Homeopathy is B0ll0ks!

Thanks for getting back to me! And explaining that to me,I really appreciate it. I will watch your link later today. smile

Likes (0)

#12 Wed 22 May 13 1:01pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

What to they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine

Likes (0)

#13 Wed 22 May 13 1:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I think if people choose homeopathy it's no business of yours.  I'd be concerned that your signature ended up somewhere it didn't belong but that's as far as I'd agree with you.  I'm not an advocate for or against homeopathy, I just don't see how other people's treatment concerns you.  Unless you've lost someone you know to homeopathic treatment then I think you need to move on and let others do as they see fit.

Likes (0)

#14 Wed 22 May 13 3:01pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

koukouvagia
Anyone can make any petition and put anyone's email address on the signature.
I can make a petition right now to have Ian Duncan Smith Castrated with a rusty bread knife, and put all your email address on the signature. I might just do that because I hate that bald tosser.
Even so there were only a couple of thousand signatures on that. The fact that my own was one of them, leads me to believe, many of the rest are fake too.

But it is my business. Firstly, getting back to the original post. We are talking about a state funded hospital. If that so called hospital closes down, it will free up money to build real hospitals giving real treatments.

Secondly. Even if it wasn't state funded. There is an issue about false descriptions. If there was a company selling anything else that didn't work.
Lets say a TV, cleaning solutions,  cars. It would be illegal and there would be prosecutions. Why are people allowed to sell chalk tablets, or water, claim it is a cure, or a treatment and allowed to get away with it?
I don't even think it needs new legislation. I believe existing laws such as the trades description act are enough to secure a prosecution. Why aren't they all in prison?

White Rabbit.
I agree.
The reason why I have singled out homoeopathy is it is just empty tablets being sold as medication. If I sold someone an empty box claiming there is a TV inside it, I would be prosecuted. Why are these people allowed to sell chalk, claiming their is something special in there when there isn't?
The reason why I say it is different to other things is such as herbal medication. is herbal medication whether it works or not, has something in it that may or may not work. Homoeopathy contains nothing at all in it.

Likes (0)

#15 Wed 22 May 13 7:30pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi everybody!  big_smile
I've been away for a while just to return when there's such an interesting thread going on.
I used to work for a company that sold herbal supplements and homeopathic remedies so I know a bit about the topic and would like to share my views.
I dont think homeopathy is a fraud, although some homeopathy practitioners are whistle
I've taken homeopathic remedies a few times and they've always worked. Yes, I took them for minor conditions. In my opinion, homeopathic and herbal remedies fill a major gap that drugs have: prevention.
However, when one is facing a serious condition should take strong drugs for it.

Some say that homeopathic remedies work by placebo. I'm not sure, as I have a friend who used to give homeopathic remedies to his dog to lower leg pain and it worked. As far as I know, animals dont do placebo.
And even if its placebo, I've never heard of anyone dying of placebo. Now drugs, I think they're one, if not the main, cause of death in the US for example.
I dont know how it is in your countries, but over here homeopathy isnt sold as a medicine so I dont feel Im being cheated.
Also do you guys know that for the FDA to aprove one drug it only needs to be as efficient as placebo? Excuse me??? If thats the case, then one might as well take a flour pill at least there are no side effects. Ok maybe if you take too many you may end up baking a cake in your stomach...

Homeopathic remedies arent funded by the state here so again, its not an issue for me. But I know a few drugs that are: Celebrex, Vioxx, Nimed, etc.
And these drugs have killed people in many countries, like US. Countries like Finland, Norway and Sweden have banned Nimed several years ago due to severe side effects and my government was still paying for them untill recently. When Merck released Vioxx, it set up a fund of over 2 billion USD to cover for lawsuits and ended up paying more.
No homeopathic remedy has to my knowledge ever caused death.

So to end, Im in favour of balance and good sense. Some people take a heavy drug when they have a minor headache and some take herbal remedies or homeopathic ones when they have a severe condition. Thats whats wrong to me.

Likes (0)

#16 Wed 22 May 13 8:20pm

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

The homoeopathic medicines for meningitis do not contain a single molecule of the poison belladonna or the toxin Aconite.

These two deadly poisons may have been placed in some water which was diluted until nothing was left of the deadly poisons. Not even a single molecule. But the water doesn't remember what was once mixed in to it, and then removed. There are no brain cells in water molecules, or RAM or ROM chips, it doesn't even contain a pen and paper to take a note of what was once placed inside it and it doesn't have the ability to do the opposite.
All water molecule contains is a single oxygen atom and two hydrogen atoms. And when it is a liquid, the molecules all wizz past each other in no particular order.

That is why homoeopathy is B0llocks.

And you have given a perfect example on why it is so dangerous.
Meningitis is deadly. People with it need urgent medical attention.
It is also easily curable.
It is disgusting and utterly reprehensible that any alternative therapist would claim to be able to treat such a thing. When it comes to Homoeopaths and their bottles that contain nothing but water, or their tablets that contain nothing but chalk. It is criminal.
If alternative therapists only dealt with things like stress, pain relief, anxiety. If they kept their remit on non fatal conditions that leave no lasting damage where the fact that the medicines don't work doesn't make much of a difference, this would only be a minor fraud that can be ignored. If they only dealt with conditions that contemporary science can't cure, and all care is palliative. Well you can say even though it doesn't work it is a positive thing because it gives hope.
But the fact, they do sell medicines that claim to deal with meningitis means homoeopathy is dangerous. And has to be banned.
A lot of people die from meningitis. So many that we all know people that have died from it. When diagnosed early, it is very easy to treat. How sickening is it that people are allowed to sell bits of chalk, or bottles of water that claim to treat it?

louise4011
reading this "The main homeopathic medicines for meningitis are Belladonna and Aconite."
Was really painful. I didn't know homoeopaths claimed to be able to treat something so deadly and so treatable as meningitis.
I know I thought homoeopathy was dangerous, but never this dangerous. I am physically feeling a pain in my chest right now, and my arms are shacking while I type. I can't believe this. I am actually shaking with fear that such a thing is on the market. "Humanities inhumanity to humanity" is a bit of a slogan, but reading that really made me feel it. Wow. I have never ever felt like this before. I think i need to go out my house to get some air now. Wow, I think if i still cried I would be in tears now.
Bye

Last edited by abdullahcohn (Wed 22 May 13 8:51pm)

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 22 May 13 9:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I felt close to tears on reading that too Abs.

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 22 May 13 10:10pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Oh please, there are real issues to deal with other than something you just don't believe in.  People should be allowed to seek the treatment they want, not the type of treatment YOU want them to.

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 22 May 13 10:17pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

louise4011 wrote:

The main homeopathic medicines for meningitis are Belladonna and Aconite.

Ok ...so , Louise which would you choose the Belladonna and Aconite if you were diagnosed with Meningitus ... Or conventional treatment with antibiotics ?

As I said previously (when I first asked the question ) I'm not being awkward , I'm just curios .

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 22 May 13 10:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

koukouvagia wrote:

Oh please, there are real issues to deal with other than something you just don't believe in.  People should be allowed to seek the treatment they want, not the type of treatment YOU want them to.

I don't think that Abdul is saying that people can't seek the treatment that they want but more he feels that it doesn't really work .

I agree that sometimes the belief in homeopathy can be dangerous . ( meningitis , alternative to vaccination etc )
It's hard to judge the effectiveness as many things that people take it for are conditions that might eventually resolve on their own even without the use of medicines.

Likes (0)