forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 27 Jun 13 5:01pm

maureen.minnie

Member since Thu 27 Jun 13

Substitutons

If a Recipe calls for cheese what would you use as a substitution also  i usually substitute greek yogurt for mayo do you have any other ideas?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 27 Jun 13 5:30pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Re: Substitutons

I substitute Horse meat for Beef in my burgers....

Does that count ????

whistle

On a more serious note, why are you substituting ?? lack of availability ???

Allergy/intolerance ???

Likes (3)

#3 Thu 27 Jun 13 11:21pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

maureen.minnie wrote:

If a Recipe calls for cheese what would you use as a substitution also  i usually substitute greek yogurt for mayo do you have any other ideas?

welcome to the forum maureen.minnie  big_smile
why is it that you are not wanting to use cheese ?
Is it because you are on a fat free diet ?
what sort of recipe were you looking at to replace the cheese with a dufferent ingredient ?

sorry Maureen , its all questions !
Once we now where you are lanning to replace the cheese it will be easier for forum members to help you with a substitution as what might work in one recipe might not wok in another.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 28 Jun 13 6:45pm

Gravy Queen

Occupation Being Fabulous
From Liverpool
Member since Sun 10 Oct 04

Haven't really heard a request to substitute cheese , wouldn't that be altering the recipe altogether . What do you replace cheese with ? It's either put it in or leave it out isnt it ?

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 28 Jun 13 7:43pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi there,
I've heard from vegetarian friends that tofu is supposed to replace cheese. I cannot speak from personal experience as I've never tried it. I hope it helps.

I cant help saying that its almost offensive to replace cheese,  yummy  dribble  big_smile  wink

I'm joking of course, I'm sure you have your reasons. I just happen to love cheese!

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 29 Jun 13 12:56am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

sergio1972 wrote:

Hi there,
I've heard from vegetarian friends that tofu is supposed to replace cheese. I cannot speak from personal experience as I've never tried it. I hope it helps.

I cant help saying that its almost offensive to replace cheese,  yummy  dribble  big_smile  wink

I'm joking of course, I'm sure you have your reasons. I just happen to love cheese!

I don't think of tofu as something that has much taste and it doesn't melt like cheese so I'm suprised your vegetarian friends use it like that Sergio (.its not something I would do )
Most British cheeses are made with vegetarian rennet and so are suitable for vegetarian use.

Likes (0)