#11 Sun 07 Jul 13 2:18pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: Hot wings

wine~o wrote:

why wouldou want to eat them????

Well, in a cooking forum where people eat all kinds of things including nose-to-tail cooking, this seems to be a bit of a.... needless question.  Obviously chicken wings are small, edible morsels of goodness.  They are also affordable and here in the states are a staple of the junk food diet as well as fine cuisine.  Need it be explained why someone would eat them?

Anyway, now that you mention that dominos bakes them instead of fries them, makes me even more certain that they are pre cooked and then baked to heat up.  It reminds me of all the food-like choices they sell at Dunkin Donuts like egg sandwiches and hashbrowns.  There are no "kitchens" in dunkin donuts lol. Those items are delivered to the store already cooked, yes the egg patties are precooked and then heated in a toaster and then served to you.  It's remarkable that they stay in business because I think it is disgusting.

Here's the thing about fast food - it can never be replicated.  There are several reasons for that.  It's not as easy as "I'll just replicate it without the preservatives." Fast food companies are in complete control of the production of their "food" from farm to kitchen.  Their recipes are not so much recipes as they are science experiments designed to keep consumers salted, sweetened, and addicted.  A very interesting book that devotes a lot of explanation to this type of science is called The End of Overeating by David Kessler.  You can download the pdf for free at http://www.ebookweb.org/the-end-of-over … 233977002/  It explains so much about how fast food chains keep their costs down, and keep their food tasting exactly the same nationally and world wide.

Last edited by koukouvagia (Sun 07 Jul 13 2:20pm)

Likes (2)

#12 Sun 07 Jul 13 3:24pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Those wings look great Ashen!  I'm a fan of them done on the grill.  I realized that even though I don't think to have them as a dish by themselves very often, it's one of my favorite pieces of chicken and the first piece I want from a baked chicken.

Likes (0)

#13 Sun 07 Jul 13 4:22pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Back probably 30 years ago fast food places did cook more of the food on site, shred their own lettuce, slice their own tomatoes, but in efforts to make more money and use less labor, cut down on work related accidents and consistency in food quality it became necessary for them to do it as it is done now.  Most of the foods are pre-cooked, pre-sliced, etc.  Taco bell's food all comes in plastic bags that are just put in vats of hot water to be heated to temp.  The lettuce comes in bags pre-shredded, etc.  There is no doubt that Domino's uses pre cooked wings.  Even some restaurants do the same thing and do minimal cooking anymore.  While I prefer to cook at home, sometimes I do have to eat out at fast food places, but I'd never try to replicate them.  I think the majority of the United States have forgotten what real food taste like because they eat so much take out. Nothing beats a home cooked burger......or hot wing for that matter.  I've made my own (never takes 40 minutes) wings and they are much better than any restaurant AND I can play around with different flavors.

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 07 Jul 13 7:11pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

wine~o wrote:

I'm with Koukavia (SP?) on this,,,anything that can be cooked in under 10 minutes from scratch is going to be  puke

prep alone would take at least half an hour...

One final thing...Chicken wings...I only use them for stock.......

why wouldou want to eat them????

It would seem that this post was seen as "aggresive and negative"

I can only apologise if that seems to be the case....I was merely giving MY opinion... roll

Likes (0)

#15 Mon 08 Jul 13 12:48am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Funny, I don't care for fast food, but there are some aspects of it, for instance, the spice blend on fried chicken, that I would like to mimic better at home sometimes, but definitely not the quality of the chicken or that it's so greasy (I think the one I tired in the past that I thought the spice blend was good was KFC).  It's been so long.  The last fast food I had was at Wendy's, a really nice salad with grilled chicken, field greens and fresh berries.  They were so generous with the goodies, it was delicious and I even liked the raspberry vinaigrette, because it was rather sweet.

eta:  I think what seems a little negative to me is that the person wanted to make a very popular dish - spicy wings, at home and wanted advice.  It's great to inform people as to what they can do to improve their diets, but I didn't see any reason to do so in this case.  It's a perfectly good food and if we had a thread loaded with members discussing which fast foods they like and which potato chip flavors they like, then it seems a bit too much to jump all over someone case when we have no idea what this person's health or diet is like.

Last edited by MsPablo (Mon 08 Jul 13 1:02am)

Likes (0)

#16 Mon 08 Jul 13 1:29pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I wasn't trying to jump on his/her health.  I was trying to give the reasons why it is impossible to replicate the flavor of fast food.  Furthermore, this is a cooking forum and most of us, if not all of us, are in agreement that freshly cooked food is best - including the OP.  I didn't mean to offend.

Likes (0)

#17 Mon 08 Jul 13 3:13pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Fair enough Koukouvagia.

They provide detailed information here about what goes in to their foods:
http://cache.dominos.com/homev8/docs/me … .21.00.pdf

Likes (0)

#18 Tue 09 Jul 13 1:18pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I think some commercial products and fast foods can be mimicked. The problems I see is that some ingredients are just not available retail and that often you can't buy the same fine ground texture and that domestic ovens and other cooking gadgets don't often work as quickly. I do not think it's as simple as they put "bad" things in that our brains love. Even the simple act of cooking pizza, a 300C oven makes all the difference.

Likes (0)

#19 Tue 09 Jul 13 2:27pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

there is nothing quite like a 90 second neopolitan pizza..     the best I can do at home is about twice that .  Most of the other additives and whatnot can be had these days, although not easily.  The upswing of Mondernist/molecular gastronomy  means you can buy outrageously marked up small packages of just about any of those wierd things you see on labels if you try hard enough.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#20 Tue 09 Jul 13 2:55pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

It was a revelation to me to use a better stove/oven and top-notch copper pans, etc.  Definitely, the wood pizza oven is a fantastic tool, very hard to replicate  those results with the home oven.

TWR, the gluten-free all-purpose flour blend that I use these days is better than other blends because it is so finely milled.  I keep wondering why other companies don't mill their blends the same way.  In one packet, there will be big grains among the really finely milled stuff like cornstarch and Tapioca flour.  I believe it is partly why the results will look kind of lumpy with the other flours, other than structural aspects of dough like gluten.

Likes (1)