Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 18 Aug 13 12:51pm

cbett

Member since Sun 18 Aug 13

sushi

how do you make sushi? my son loves it so we thought we might have a go doing it at home but we dont know how to do it.

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 18 Aug 13 2:16pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: sushi

Making sushi is an artform.  You can make it at home but it takes a bit of practice.  Also, buying the ingredients necessary can be a little expensive, I've bought them all and have tried making sushi a few times but to be honest, I'm happier going to the local sushi restaurant and experiencing really good sushi from someone else's hands better.  It's fun to make though so here is a good guide that might work for you http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-make-sushi/

The key to good sushi is the sushi rice.  It's a bit tricky to make on your own though because it requires the right amount of sugar and vinegar to taste just right.  To make it easier on yourself, pick up a container of sushi rice at your local sushi joint rather than trying to make it yourself.  This saves money as well, so you won't have to buy raw rice and rice vinegar which you'll then have to store and use up later.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 19 Aug 13 6:18am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

It's easy and fun to do with kids. It's never going to be quite as good as a nice sushi place but I can now do as good as or better than average sushi joints.

Grab a kit from the supermarket for an easy way to start. In terms of method maybe see if there is a video on YouTube.

I even microwave cook the rice and everything turns out fine. I use a bottled sushi seasoning which takes the thinking out of it.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 16 Apr 14 1:16pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

There are many types of sushi made by the masters but I have only made hand rolls at home.  After a few attempts my boys think they are just as good as we can get locally, this is no doubt because we live in suburban Melbourne not New York or Tokyo! But i agree with white rabbit, use sushi/rice seasoning its available in supermarkets in the bottle and have fun.  PS Use a mix of water and rice wine vinegar/sushi seasoning to wet your hand when handling the rice its makes it soo much easier.

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 16 Apr 14 4:23pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

when i want to cook sushi i buy it from the shop. i cannot find nori,thought.what i can use instead of nori. neutral

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#6 Wed 16 Apr 14 10:09pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

user2014 wrote:

when i want to cook sushi i buy it from the shop. i cannot find nori,thought.what i can use instead of nori. neutral

I don't think there is a substitute. Maybe someone else can suggest one smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#7 Thu 17 Apr 14 12:26pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I'm sure you can order nori.  But there are other ways to wrap a roll, you can do it without the nori, rice only.  A lot of rolls here are made by stuffing a column of cucumber.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 17 Apr 14 1:23pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

koukouvagia wrote:

I'm sure you can order nori.  But there are other ways to wrap a roll, you can do it without the nori, rice only.  A lot of rolls here are made by stuffing a column of cucumber.

Sorry, I obviously misinterpreted the question.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)