@nGoose1

Forum champ
Occupation Shop worker/KP/ Commis chef
From UK/Germany
Member since Wed 28 Oct 09

Re: Waste less

That's genius.

SherylS wrote:

I found that spring onions always went slimy quickly in the fridge and was always throwing them out until I was given the idea of replanting them in a pot (as long as they still have their roots attached of course).  lol

Likes (0)

#32 Mon 02 Dec 13 2:22pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Amazing how many people don't use stalks, with the most flavour. I use fine chopped for risotto base and soup.

Merlin wrote:

davidjackson wrote:

I carry on any vegetable leftovers, or stalks from cauliflower, and once or double a week I rotate them into vegetable soup, which I then freeze in single portions for a quick lunch.

Absolutely love that one. Do you store them all together?

Likes (0)

#33 Mon 02 Dec 13 9:11pm

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

A great post this.
I already do a lot of these but there are some new twists here...saving coffeee leftovers. Brilliant!
I share with Mummza the saving of the outer leaves of a cabbage. I only discard damaged or shrivelled/discoloured leaves. I wash them thoroughly then steam them for 3 or 4 minutes and cut them up and add them to stir fry. The only parts I discard are the really thick spine of the leaf but I might try adding them to a smoothie in future  lol

Likes (4)

#34 Fri 03 Jan 14 1:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

One of my main discoveries recently is that Blue cheese like Stilton CAN freeze .
I have never frozen it before and having done a google search I find that the British cheese council say that it freezes perfectly.
http://www.britishcheese.com/facts/faqs-31
good news for all cheese lovers as those Christas and new year selection boards of cheese are often very reduced straight after the christas/new year holiday season.

Likes (2)

#35 Mon 06 Jan 14 2:37pm

user2014

Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

when we have much food we eat it all ,we dont waste it only bread if is too dry or something spoilen,to be honest rarely...

Likes (0)

#36 Mon 20 Jan 14 11:52pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

Dry bread makes amazing bread crumbs and croutons. Start with good bread and you will end up with good crumbs/croutons

Likes (0)

#37 Tue 28 Jan 14 11:56pm

@nGoose1

Forum champ
From UK/Germany

On the same trip Food & Drink on BBC T.V.  this week had food waste as its topic. Marry Berry had what looked like a wonderful idea using croutons and egg whites as a fish pie topping. Great news I have found a link (not sure if overseas can get this, hopefully the recipe  at least is available).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fish_ … uffl_57249

Last edited by @nGoose1 (Tue 28 Jan 14 11:58pm)

Likes (0)

#38 Wed 29 Jan 14 1:36pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

another idea to use up bread .... bunny chow
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/25745902

my daughter-in-law-to-be made me bunny chow, she spent almost a year living and wrking in south africa. Bunny chow is bth filling and nutritios , its not a restaurant dish but more a transportable street food dish that you can eat ( although a bit messily ) with out a fork by ripping off the bread at the side of the loaf or roll and using that to collect up the spicy curried filling.

Likes (0)

#39 Wed 29 Jan 14 9:31pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

*Snap!*

Mummza! About a month ago I watched, Chef Gino D`Acampo's U.K. television series; "There's No Taste Like Home" & one of his contestants made: * Bunny Chow*!  yummy  thumbsup

Likes (2)

#40 Wed 29 Jan 14 10:06pm

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Let's not forget bread and butter pudding/ pain perdu/ French toast which can be as simple (stale bread) or as decadent (croissants or brioche etc) as needs/wants be smile.

Or Panzanella (Tuscan tomato & bread salad)

Or bread to thicken tomato soup

Or bread to make taramasalata

Or ... big_smile

Last edited by Maree (Wed 29 Jan 14 10:09pm)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)