forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:03am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: September Cooking Challenge: EGGS!!

I'll have to serve up some inspiration for you guys.  This is an omelette I made very simply using a beautiful summer squash that I found at the farmer's market recently.  These are almost out of season so I try to enjoy them as often as I can.

Likes (0)

#12 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:05am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

I can only insert one photo per post I think so here's the continuation of the squash, into the hot pan it goes along with olive oil, oregano, dried mint and salt/pepper.  I cook it until it is very soft and brown edges.

Likes (0)

#13 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:05am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

In go the eggs!

Likes (0)

#14 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:08am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

This one I did a play on baked eggs.  I sauteed chunks of kielbasa, red peppers and onions and then added a little tomato sauce I had left over.  Made little wells and cracked a few eggs, sprinkled with cheddar and finished off in the oven.  A bit of chopped scallion as soon as they came out and a perfect dinner with some crusty bread smile

Likes (0)

#15 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:11am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

One of my first attempts at making a short pastry with a classic creme anglaise, cooled and spread on the cooked pastry then studded with raw blueberries.  I sure am going to miss summer!

Likes (0)

#16 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:13am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

And of course who better to inspire us than Jamie Oliver, with his unique use of eggs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F61lb72VzFw

Likes (0)

#17 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:37am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

That's interesting that you make an ommelet like that , I make it differently and always make a plain egg ommelet ,  then add the filling , for something like courgette I might grate it and very lightly sauté it before adding it to the almost cooked ommelet .
( I generally remove it from the heat pop on the filling and roll it onto the plate do it folds in 3 as it rolls out of the pan ).

The omelette itself I cook simply , I have a hot pan , pop in a knob of butter and swirl it round the pan quickly before tipping in the lightly beaten egg and seasoned egg ,  I then use a wooden chop stick ( as I find it gives better folds ) and draw lines of egg as it cooks towards the centre of the pan , working quickly round the pan repeating untill there are loads of folds in the setting egg. As I mentioned I take if off the heat before its fully set as it keeps cooking as if gets to the plate.
I try not to brown the outside of he ommelet at all so the outside remains  a pale yellow colour .

It always interests me how differently we all do the same task.

Likes (0)

#18 Sat 07 Sep 13 1:35pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

I shouldn't have called it an omelette, that's just the word I use when I make a scramble with anything in it.  My final product has no shape to it, it literally is scrambled eggs.  I don't know what that would be called, just a scramble I suppose?

I too make omelettes like you, I call them french omelettes.  If I choose to have fillings I make sure those are cooked beforehand.  I quite like my omelettes with ham and cheddar cheese, maybe some mushrooms.  I melt butter, toss in 3 eggs (no water or milk!) and swirl the pan with the spatula to create soft curds.  I then turn the gas down to nearly nothing, add my toppings and cover the pan with a lid so that the top barely sets.  The top should still be glistening and look almost raw when I fold it over 3 times.  I don't like even the slightest hint of brown on the eggs!  The inside continues to cook until it hits the table where it is devoured.

Likes (0)

#19 Sun 08 Sep 13 1:49am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I sometimes make my frittata in the oven and call it a quiche.

Likes (0)

#20 Sun 08 Sep 13 11:15pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I make crepes and put them on the table (like English for beginners exercise book would suggest) and let everyone choose what they want inside, making all sort of faces  sad  roll  help  mrgreen  crossed  yummy until someone makes one for me, I really hate think of matching fillings  oops

Likes (0)