forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Thu 26 Sep 13 3:20pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Re: September Cooking Challenge: EGGS!!

I like creamy cheesy anything! I assume this would work just as well if not better with whole milk? Thanks for the submission davidjackson!

Likes (0)

#52 Sun 29 Sep 13 1:05pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

These are the last moments of the challenge, I'll be announcing the winner by the end of the day!

Here's my last egg dish, inspired by the fall season!  This is a pumpkin custard in a gingerbread tart shell.

I started by pulsing store bought gingerbread cookies in the food processor until fine, mixed with a little melted butter and then pressed into little tart pans.  I baked at 350 and then let them cool.  Then I made a traditional creme anglaise in one sauce pan and in another sauce pan I mixed pumpkin puree with cinammon, all spice and nutmeg and a little sugar.  Once they both cooled I mixed them together to make the pumpkin custard.  There might have been a better way to do it but I just kind of made it up.  The gingerbread shell was a little too hard for the soft custard but very tasty.  I didn't have any pecans which would have been really nice so I topped with walnuts.

Likes (0)

#53 Sun 29 Sep 13 10:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

sorry its been a busy month I meant to pickle some eggs but have not had chance to do so yet .
will try to join in better next month  oops

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 30 Sep 13 6:41am

davidjackson

Member since Fri 09 Aug 13

What a brilliant recipe. I  would like to give it a try. I hope the post will encourage public to provide it a try.

Likes (0)

#55 Mon 30 Sep 13 9:18am

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

koukouvagia wrote:

Welcome on board Kiwi and Earthmum!  I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.  Since most of the members are from the UK around here I look forward to some beautiful red egg yolks.  The eggs we get here in the US have yellow yolks.

Thanks, KouKou, for your kind words! smile
Sorry, I haven't been back to post - I wanted to post a pic of my daughters neighbours free-range hens, but I didn't have a suitable pic without my grandson in. (EarthMum/Gem - that's great you have happy chickens too!  thumbsup  )
Anyways...here is a late entry - sorry it is late, no worries if I've missed the 'boat' - thought I'd post anyways, as, it's the 30th September!
So, along with Ashen's yummy scrambled eggs (& yours, KouKou & Everyone's fab photos!) - here is my version of:

Scrambled Eggs....
*6 small free-range eggs (for 2 or 3 people) whipped with half a litre of milk & grated cheese (optional), then brought to the boil slowly in a pot/saucepan - then served on a hot buttered piece/s of toast!  yummy

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Mon 30 Sep 13 9:42am)

Likes (0)

#56 Mon 30 Sep 13 1:58pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Lovely recipes everyone and thank you for the late entries!  This has been a really fun challenge for me and I hope for all of you.  Of all the great recipes I've chosen EARTHMUM to be the winner with this spectacular meringue!!  Just look at it, it's dreamy and I want to crunch down on it!  I chise this as the winning dish because meringue is one of those things that are difficult to make well and the presentation is great. Congratulations Earthmum, you've inspired me to put my fears aside and tackle this dish!

As the winner you get to choose the October challenge!  Start a new thread titled October Cooking Challenge:_______ and then tell us what the challenge is.  Remember that the challenge can be about anything, an ingredient, a dinner course, a type of cuisine, anything at all!  At the end of October you Earthmum get to choose the winner based on whatever criteria you like, whichever dish blew you away.

I look forward to hearing October's challenge!

Last edited by koukouvagia (Tue 01 Oct 13 2:27am)

Likes (0)

#57 Tue 01 Oct 13 11:25pm

Kiwi Kris

Forum champ
Occupation Farmer
From New Zealand
Member since Sun 09 Jan 05

Your'e welcome, Koukou! smile

Congrats to, EarthMum/Gem! thumbsup
Mmm! I love your meringue pie - looks delicious! Also, I see "2 little eyes"/your doggie, eyeing your pie!!!  big_smile

{P.S. Koukou! I just had a look to see if Gem could be contacted by e-mail about her "win". It appears there is no e-mail button....So, I hope you; Gem, see a notification to Koukou's Sept;Thread Challenge, sooner than later! crossed }

Last edited by Kiwi Kris (Tue 01 Oct 13 11:32pm)

Likes (0)

#58 Wed 02 Oct 13 2:10am

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York

Yes please let's all congratate Earthmum! I just now noticed that little doggie!

Likes (0)

#59 Wed 02 Oct 13 11:25pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

well done Earthmum

Likes (0)

#60 Thu 03 Oct 13 12:20am

Maree

Forum champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Now all we need is for her to let us know what she's chosen for us to cook in October ...

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)