forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 12 Sep 13 4:10am

Sjarels

Member since Thu 12 Sep 13

An idea for jamie

I'm quite new to this site, so I may be doing some things wrong, I'll try not to though;)

First of all, I would like to say I'm a huge fan of Jamie, it probably sounds stupid, but I feel connected to him, he's a great example of mine.

Now what I have been thinking: I've noticed that a lot of chefs find it necesarry to peel tomatoes, take the seeds out of chilis, dispose edible stuff etc...

I have the feeling that this is something Jamie rarely does, he doesn't throw the inside of tomatoes away, if the stems of a herb contain flavor, he uses them, I've even seen him throw the green leafs of a cauliflower in the blender.

Now I would love to see a show where the focus is on economic cooking, with which I mean, showing tricks to use 'garbage' in different ways, learning us about things people tend to dispose but that are actually useful/tasty/edible. I'm sure there are things that can be eaten, but people simply do not know it. Since Jamie often lives by 'keep it simple' and 'good food doesn't have to be expensive', this may be a project that he would support.

The small tricks we learn from Jamie, are one of the things I love about him, it's a small example, but because of him, I stopped peeling my garlic big_smile

I'd love to learn more of these useful things and I would personally love watching a show in which unconventional (parts of) products are used.

Kind regards and sorry for the long text!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 12 Sep 13 4:06pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Re: An idea for jamie

Hi Sjarels! Funnily enough that's exactly what Jamie's latest book and TV show are focused on. If you take a look at the website we set up for it it's full of tips and tricks to help you make the most you can out of your food and minimise your waste.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/savewithjamie

Enjoy!

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 12 Sep 13 4:26pm

Sjarels

Member since Thu 12 Sep 13

What a coincidence, I had no knowledge of this, thanks!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 13 Sep 13 11:06am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

I cannot stand tomato skins and seeds in things. The little rolled up bits of skin in mostly pureed soup is the worst as I can't even fish those out.

Likes (0)