forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 17 May 14 1:28pm

freshnearyou

Member since Sat 17 May 14

Re: Please listen re Woolworths Australia!

It's not about artisan products. It's about Australian's pulling their heads out of the sand and understanding that over the past 50 years, Woolworths and Coles have SYSTEMATICALLY destroyed small mum and dad owned speciality stores, and are about to DESTROY our food security in this country if left unchecked.  In some regions in Australia, W&C have 95% market share!  How on earth has this been allowed?   It's NOT convenient to shop at one store, it's just that W&C have spent millions brainwashing people into thinking that finding a park, finding a trolley, being fed what to buy in product placement and loss leaders and then lining up at undermanned checkouts or now self serve non human checkouts is super convenient and will save you time and money.  Meanwhile, go and actually test the difference. Go buy some cherry tomatoes that come from a fruit and veg specialty store who ACTUALLY sources locally and doesn't cold store it for god knows how long. The test is the taste.
It just disgusts me that someone like Jamie Oliver who is a squillionaire already has chosen to back an ugly company like Woolworths.  They are ugly - their corporate practices cause heartache in farmers lives everyday. Farmers, twice the suicide rate.  When you are bullied by the tactics of these horrid companies - when your livelihood depends on it.. and they know it.. you either comply or die. In some cases, quite literally.  We are trying to do something about it.

Likes (3)

#22 Sat 17 May 14 2:46pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Most of the fruit and veg in smaller grocers in Sydney comes from the markets at Flemington. I believe (from the presence of their supply trucks) that the big 2 supermarkets do source at least some of their fruit and veg from the same place. You can get the same "brands" of fruit and veg in both kinds of retail vendors (at least one of the blueberry producers and that herb mob whose name starts with c, coolabri?). Their business practices I doubt are really fair but I don't think the treatment of the produce (cold storage etc) is wildly different. I would also wonder if the farmers get more money selling to independent grocers. I rather doubt that but I do not know enough about the food chain. I'd expect a middle man is making the extra; it's usually the way.

I don't think it's always convenient to shop at lots of little shops. I have small kids and dragging them around different places is not convenient at all. It's stressful and exhausting and I'm lucky enough to have a car. Sure it would be great if everyone had a little set of shops that were all good quality and well run but I doubt that ever existed all the time. Outside of the undercutting the supermarkets have done I'd say there would have been a proportion of people who were relieved that they could get fruit and veg at a supermarket after suffering with a average or dreadful greengrocer.

The only thing that you really can do is regulate the business practices. I don't think this forum will really change anything. It's something to bring up with your local member of government.

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 07 Jun 14 12:37pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I wonder if Jaime is aware of this nasty little trick that Woolies is pulling
https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/veg-g … k_cb%22%5D

Likes (0)

#24 Thu 12 Jun 14 3:04pm

FreshFrenzy

Member since Thu 12 Jun 14

I had to join up to support what Sarnia, SueL and Shaz1717 have said. I have witnessed the devastation caused to local communities at the hands of the duopoly. Well run and dearly loved family businesses supporting local communities through service, employment and selling local product simply disappear under the predatory pricing and predatory capacity practices of Coles and Woolworths. The flow on effects are monumental with impacts on local supporting service providers and producers, loss of livelihoods, destruction of family units and ultimately tearing at the fabric of the communities the duopoly pretends to benefit. Many of our towns are becoming ghost towns, a big supermarket on the outskirts and the traditional centre dying with the loss of its anchor tenants.

White rabbit... you probably live in a city where the good small independent operators have long gone. They were lost when the duopoly honed their skills and then more recently applied the model to rural areas. You rightly point out that there isn't much choice now. The anti-competitive practices of the duopoly ensured that quality independent stores were not prepared to continue to invest the required capital as it wasn't worth the risk in a game stacked against them. They moved on.

I was so disappointed in seeing Jamie represent Woolworths. I've seen their practices first hand ... If only he knew. I have a lot of respect for Jamie and I'd like to think that he wouldn't go near them if he knew the full story, but I suppose it is all about selling his products. In my opinion, he has damaged his brand... I don't buy from Woolworths, so won't be buying his products.

Likes (0)

#25 Fri 13 Jun 14 12:21am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

I've lived here a while and the good green grocers are still around. The middle tier like Harris farm market is a good alternative too. Some of these places are right next door to supermarkets and still function.

I used to live in the country and I remember when the woolies started doing fruit and veg. The good local green grocer was still in operation for at least another decade till he retired.

I'm sure it closed some businesses which is sad but the people doing a good job stayed because they were good.

I'm watching the news with amusement over this advertising fee per crate to fund the Jamie ad campaign that woolworths is doing. It's funny that .they are acting as if this is a new thing

Likes (0)

#26 Fri 13 Jun 14 12:26am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I buy my fruit and veg mainly from farmers' markets. When I can't get to them for whatever reason, I buy from two independent greengrocers, both are in major shopping complexes both with a Coles and a Woolies. We like independents and having choice here. One has been in "the game" for 40+ years, the other for 20+.

I refuse to support the duopoly for fruit, veg and meat.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#27 Fri 13 Jun 14 12:06pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Well, this is the latest that was in the guardian today

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j … mentpage=1

I'm fortunate in that I have the Central Market here in Adelaide. I never buy supermarket fresh produce unless it is from my favourite foodland whose fruit and veg manager gets his from the same markets my central market green grocer gets his.

I do shop at woolworths very occasionally, but they don't have the range of products any longer.

However, with this, I am disappointed that Jamie's "people" aren't interested in addressing this.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 13 Jun 14 1:42pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Cindy, check out my ten year anniversary thread. Not too late.

Oh and I covet the central market in adelaide

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 13 Jun 14 6:24pm

Abby M

Occupation Food Content & Community Manager
From Jamie HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

Hi all,

Jamie has read all the comments and naturally is concerned when he hears about farmers in financial hardship. We have responded to AusVeg and Jamie and the Woolworths team will be discussing the issue further. Jamie hopes that AusVeg and Woolworths can work together for the bigger goal of championing better nutrition across Australia.

I will update you on any developments.

Likes (2)

#30 Fri 13 Jun 14 8:12pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I posted Jamie's response on the "Making News" thread following on from Joy's links.

Here it is again:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/jamie-oliv … zs4s9.html

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)