Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sat 14 Jun 14 10:27am

FreshFrenzy

Member since Thu 12 Jun 14

Re: Please listen re Woolworths Australia!

Coles and Woolworths bypass the wholesale produce markets. They typically buy direct from the growers. This works for some growers who have built very significant scale and ridden on the back of having one of the duopoly as a client... But disaster strikes if they fall out of favour.

Cold storage is very different for the chains compared to farmers markets or local green grocers... Or even independent supermarkets. A great example is tomatoes. I'm sure everyone wonders why you simply can't buy a good tasting tomato from chain supermarkets. They buy their tomatoes from growers in the Bowen Basin near Townsville in Queensland (God's country for tomatoes!). These tomatoes are picked while still green and hard ("commercial maturity") and shipped to their national storage centre in Adelaide, 2,800km away, where they are stored. Being hard, they can be shipped long distances rough handled but don't bruise. Also, these tomatoes have been specifically bred for shelf life, appearance and ability to withstand harsh treatment... Not taste or nutrition. These tomatoes are then ripened chemically using ethylene and shipped to stores around the country as required. All around the country... Even back to Townsville. That tomato will have travelled 5,600km!!

This process creates that uniform appearance and quality that the consuming public has been educated to desire... The homogenous McDonalds model that White Rabbit refers to... But they have no flavour and therefore don't encourage our kids to eat them... Which I thought was the point of Jamie's campaign.

The good green grocers, bakers and butchers you refer to are dying out. They just can't justify ongoing capital investment in an environment where the chains are going after them (it has been a focused strategy for the last few years)... Which means they either get out or their customers start saying are "rubbish" because they can't afford to provide quality. As you say, you have to drive a couple of suburbs to find a good one. Harris Farm markets are doing well and good on them.

Something good out of Woolworths being exposed once again for their shocking treatment of suppliers including Farmers is that some people will protest and look for alternatives and maybe they will discover the difference, realise that Woolworths is only perceived to be cheaper, and spread the word.

Likes (0)

#32 Sat 14 Jun 14 10:34am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

The local Harris Farm market is for sale. I have a small farmers' market just around the corner from me Wed-Sat. There is a huge one two suburbs away each Sunday. There are myriad small farmers' markets around the suburbs (and down near one of the main city beaches) fortnightly or monthly. 15-20 minutes away there are numerous farm gate stalls for fruit, veg and eggs.

I know that I am very fortunate in this regard.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#33 Sat 14 Jun 14 12:54pm

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

The White Rabbit wrote:

Oh and I covet the central market in adelaide

I know you do.  wink

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 14 Jun 14 1:54pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Cindy wrote:

The White Rabbit wrote:

Oh and I covet the central market in adelaide

I know you do.  wink

Just this morning I was extoling it's virtues to someone who was telling me they wanted to see more of australia than just sydney and the gold coast.

Likes (1)

#35 Mon 16 Jun 14 2:03am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Ha ha, well Jamie is about to open the poshest Jamies italian here in Adelaide apparently. I hope he spends some time visiting the central market and Willunga Farmers Market - which he would love.

I suppose that will depend on the research his 'people' does about Adelaide. I still remember having an argument with Pete about how Adelaide food and produce is superior to Melbourne when they visited way back when. He was too busy listening to his friends who had never been to Adelaide or spent time here.

Likes (0)

#36 Mon 16 Jun 14 5:52am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Adelaide is the best in australia. There isn't a question. Sure the restaurant industry is much bigger in melbourne and then sydney but that's just bums on seats due to population.

Likes (0)

#37 Mon 16 Jun 14 10:10am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (1)