forum: Everything else

Subscribe to forums RSS

#11 Sat 02 Nov 13 11:41pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: fussy boyfriend who is a pastry chef, who is really fussy HELP

Thomas Keller's recipe is the one I use for fresh pasta and Cup4Cup ap gluten-free flour.  I don't know what is a good substitute where you are, but that is a fantastic fresh pasta recipe.

The dry quinoa pasta I buy is excellent.  Maybe you can find it in Aus?  It's more expensive than wheat pasta, but it is a whole protein, which should count in the price I suppose, although maybe quinoa is more of a 'New World' grain that isn't so popular elsewhere???  I'm curious now.

If I could eat the homemade breads made with wheat without bad consequences, I would because I love bread.

Likes (1)

#12 Sun 03 Nov 13 12:01am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I have most of Thomas Keller's books so I'll have a look through them when I get home from work. Thanks for that smile.

I can tolerate my sourdough (in moderation) much better than "normal" and bought bread (the majority of the so-called "sourdoughs" included). I don't make it often though).

Likes (1)

#13 Sun 03 Nov 13 2:40am

Member since Sat 02 Nov 13

well he despises pasta because quote ( i use to have and make it all the time i am so over it)  like i can"t make spag bog or anything like that he only eats stuff like chicken and sausages, i have tried everything to make it interesting for the both of us but nothing and thanks to the advice of you peps i have devised a plan and going to try it out and see if he notices for the next 4 weeks thanks everyone       big_smile

Last edited by (Sun 03 Nov 13 2:40am)

Likes (0)

#14 Sun 03 Nov 13 1:25pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

Ashen wrote:

I will give my two cents worth..  YMMV

Firstly it is not your job or responsibility to make your BF eat better.  I can understand being concerned but once you have made that point to him, it is 100% his responsibility.

My second thought is that you should not be held hostage to his likes.  Let him know in advance when you are going to cook a meal that you like ,  giving him an option to prepare something else for himself. If he gives you grief, simply state that you have as much right to meals you like  as he does to meals he likes.  What I would be shooting for is a mutual respect for each others likes,  not a confrontational argument every time you want to eat something different.

In some ways I completely agree.  A grown man has his set ways and I respect that.  You can't be responsible for someone else's likes dislikes or even their health.  But I'll give you an example why this does not work in the long run.  My husband for example is the opposite of a picky eater.  He will eat and appreciate everything I cook.  He only has a few dislikes - creamy food, salads, dessert.  That's not a lot but being an avid cook myself I don't like limitations.  Sure, I whip myself up a carbonara every once in a while, I eat my daily salad, I indulge in desserts sometimes, but I can't share a dessert at a restaurant with him.  I was ok with this for a long time but now it grates on my nerves a bit.  Maybe I'm must overly sensitive.  But it's a lot of work to whip up a pot of creamy potato soup or cream of mushroom soup, or make a cheesecake and then have nobody eat it so I avoid it. 

I'm just ranting because I'm in a bad mood, ignore me.  I'm avoiding carbs at the moment and I'm craving a potato lol.

Likes (0)

#15 Sun 03 Nov 13 1:31pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

wrote:

well he despises pasta because quote ( i use to have and make it all the time i am so over it)  like i can"t make spag bog or anything like that he only eats stuff like chicken and sausages, i have tried everything to make it interesting for the both of us but nothing and thanks to the advice of you peps i have devised a plan and going to try it out and see if he notices for the next 4 weeks thanks everyone       big_smile

Can you add in a member name please , it would be nicer to refer to you using a name.

I think Ashen is right though , it's not your job to change what he eats.

For many years until the family all left home I would cook a main meal with a vegetarian alternative for me as my family all liked eating meat . Even to start with when there was just the 2 of us.
It's only since the family have left home that we eat a lot of vegetarian meals and sometimes I think to cook meat or fish for my darling !
(My darling eating a vegetarian meal would have been unheard of when we first met !)

Likes (0)

#16 Sun 03 Nov 13 9:46pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Frankly, (yes, a name would be nice) I'd give up if your plan doesn't work and have him fix his own meals or go without wink.

Likes (0)

#17 Wed 13 Nov 13 7:51am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

Sit him down and explain your frustration. If he refuses to see your point and try to eat what is prepared, then maybe you need to ask yourself if he is really worth it. It sounds to me he is causing you a lot of distress and to be honest this is not fair to you. No is it respectful of your needs.

No relationship is worth you being miserable.

I have been fortunate that my husband was brought up to eat what is put in front of him, or go without. There are a few things he doesn't like, and I don't always make them, but he will eat it if prepared.

Last edited by Cindy (Wed 13 Nov 13 7:52am)

Likes (0)

#18 Wed 13 Nov 13 6:50pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

It took years for my darling to eat fruit ( apart from in deserts ) and vegetables . I had to find it pretty annoying but he just never saw the need to eat anything else.
I'm glad I didn't let it get to me or ask my self it 'was really worth it ' if I had done I'd have missed out on over 30 happy years .

Likes (0)

#19 Wed 13 Nov 13 9:00pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Food is a big part of our lives, no matter how much time, effort or money we put in to it. I disagree with a lot of the comments suggesting that you go your way and let him fend for himself or that you let this put a rift in your relationship.  Over Spag Bol?  Not enough of a deal-breaker, especially if this person's reservations have to do with the choices of dishes/ingredients/methods not being 'classic' but 'homemaker shortcuts' like spag bol, as you put it.

Go to restaurants together, let him make dinner and see where that takes you.  Could it be that he doesn't trust you to make anything other than chicken and sausages and 'spag bol'?  Is he willing to try other foods made by professional chefs?

Last edited by MsPablo (Wed 13 Nov 13 9:06pm)

Likes (0)

#20 Wed 13 Nov 13 11:10pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thank you MsP for mentioning my torta salata, it's a long time I do not bake it anymore.
While reading all posts I made a sort of autoanalisi and discovered that I did not like most of the things I'm cooking, I ate only cheese and radicchio, eggs, fruits, yogurt, lemons peeling them but whole, bread as panini with tomatoes, no soups, no pasta ........... I like cooking now but do not really know what I like best when I sit at table, I'd like to chat and laugh and wait for coffee and an icecream at the end

sorry I'm not of great help but I survived with a husband who knows what he likes and also how it should be done  wink  cool  help  crossed  whistle  lol

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Thu 14 Nov 13 9:33am)

Likes (3)