forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Fri 08 Nov 13 11:39am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Re: Coffee, coffee, coffee

My sister makes a great rhubarb coffee  cake , but  there is no coffee in the cake itself.
I read something not long ago about coffee cake being a Dutch tradition.  Any visiting guests would be offered coffee with simple  cakes or a biscuit, thus simple style cakes were called coffee cakes. .  Not sure if it is true or just creative narrative but still interesting.   I love a piece of  dutch boterkoek with a coffee.  yummy  yummy  yummy

Last edited by Ashen (Fri 08 Nov 13 11:40am)

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (0)

#22 Fri 08 Nov 13 2:58pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

any chance of peeping into your sister's ricette notebook Ashen, I like the idea of a coffee without coffee cake ............... with rhubarb!

dai dai please

I was thinking about a word of my childhood "barbaiata" meaning a little coffee stirred with sugar, I googled it and found it's something more

http://www.cucchiaio.it/ricette/ricetta-barbajada

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Fri 08 Nov 13 3:10pm)

Likes (2)

#23 Fri 08 Nov 13 4:10pm

Merlin

Occupation Editorial assistant/general online chap
From London
Member since Wed 24 Oct 12

Rhubarb coffee cake! God, sounds... intriguing. Got a recipe Ashen?

I think the thing I always struggled with with coffee cake is that they're always sickly-sweet, creamy, and airy - a lot like a sweet cappuccino, I suppose. I wouldn't expect everyone to want the same thing but a heavy, dense cake of dark chocolate and espresso would be so good. Thinking a shiny tempered chocolate on the top...

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 09 Nov 13 12:50am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

I had always thought that coffee cake was a German/ Jewish tradition. Obviously, I was wrong: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_cake

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#25 Sat 09 Nov 13 8:34am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Merlin wrote:

Rhubarb coffee cake! God, sounds... intriguing. Got a recipe Ashen?

My wife has the recipe , it is  pretty versatile as it can be adjusted to use other fruit or berries.  I will see about getting it.

Grandmadamada wrote:

any chance of peeping into your sister's ricette notebook Ashen, I like the idea of a coffee without coffee cake ............... with rhubarb!

dai dai please

I was thinking about a word of my childhood "barbaiata" meaning a little coffee stirred with sugar, I googled it and found it's something more

http://www.cucchiaio.it/ricette/ricetta-barbajada

That is so awesome Mada.. I always used to hear my Father say that word but never really knew what it meant.

The Universe is alive and self aware. 
Need proof?
Look in a mirror.
    Likes (1)

#26 Sat 09 Nov 13 11:23am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

ehhhhh you know we have a thread my gardner teacher  and I wink

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 09 Nov 13 12:31pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

long before I was gluten free I had a flourless chocolate cake recipe that used espresso. I lost the recipe, it was dense and strong but not overpowering or sickly

Likes (0)

#28 Sat 09 Nov 13 2:46pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

A rich chocolate mousse cake made with espresso perhaps?  I've made flourless chocolate cakes and felt they were very heavy and overly rich.  A good chocolate brownie recipe, to me, is just right with coffee.  I don't need fancy brownie recipes, I really like the original style best.

Likes (0)