Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 29 Apr 14 1:05pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Rosemary Cuttings

I want to have a row of rosemary in the garden, all ready have one plant but quite young and already used for cooking so didn't want to take a lot of cuttings from it.

When I was in Lidl a couple of weeks ago they were selling bags of rosemary stems 2 for £1 so I bought 2 and got 20 cuttings from them, ( the leaves I pulled off to expose the stem I used under the lamb ) I have looked this morning and all 20 have rooted !!!, 20 plants (OK small but they will grow quickly ) for £1 !!

Gem  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 29 Apr 14 1:40pm

user2014

Forum champ
Occupation student
From kuklen,plovdiv,bulgaria
Member since Sun 05 Jan 14

Re: Rosemary Cuttings

what a sad story,you can get seeds to plant rosemary that is it is much better than buying rosemary. dont cut the young pants they need to grow just water and fertilize them.grow quickly...eh, i dont think so here the tips i give to you. roll  smile  oops

enjoying cooking easy and fast...
    Likes (0)

#3 Tue 29 Apr 14 1:55pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It was a great score Earthmum! Congratulations!

User2014, she grew them from the stalks, cuttings, a great thing to do, (in fact I have never grown rosemary any other way!).

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Tue 29 Apr 14 1:56pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 29 Apr 14 2:25pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Well scored, Gem  clap  clap

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#5 Tue 29 Apr 14 2:38pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Well done Gem. Would never of thought of it myself.

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 29 Apr 14 3:49pm

oliviascotland

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Wed 06 Apr 05

Well done, Gem - might have to give this a go myself!

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 29 Apr 14 10:48pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

user2014 wrote:

what a sad story,you can get seeds to plant rosemary that is it is much better than buying rosemary. dont cut the young pants they need to grow just water and fertilize them.grow quickly...eh, i dont think so here the tips i give to you. roll  smile  oops

user2014 , its not a sad story because she used the stalks of rosemary that she bought to grow, by splittling up what she bought , removing the bottom leaves and planting them. in many countries this is called 'cuttings' . 

she bought 2 bunches of rosemary stalks from the supermarket and because she split them up like this she now has 20 little plants because they have all made roots and started to grow.

I think this was a great idea and I think I might try it too .

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 29 Apr 14 10:54pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I grow rosemary from cuttings, but I like picking it off the bush myself because I really love deep blue flowers, and I grabbed a bit off the most glorious bush! That means I now have a big bush with glorious blue flowers and give people cuttings from it!

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 29 Apr 14 11:00pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

all my rosemary plants stem from the original one dating back to 1968 and lately I plant a little piece every time I crop some, there are so many types of rosemary but I like the color of mine's flowers ..... is this all a correct english tonight??? sorry forgive me

Likes (0)

#10 Wed 30 Apr 14 12:10am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I have to admit that if I pass a rosemary bush I often pull a little piece off and stick it in another garden or in my own . I think I've planted quite a few rosemary bushes into other places over the years !

Likes (1)