Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sun 04 May 14 10:47am

abdullahcohn

Forum champ
Occupation Occupied
From My House
Member since Fri 11 Nov 05

Cornwall for kids

planning on going cornwall. What family and kids activities are a good idea to do there?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 04 May 14 4:07pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Cornwall for kids

Cornwall is a lovely place very picturesque .

http://www.visitcornwall.com/things-to-do

I would think that your boys would love wondering around Tintagel ,
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/days … el-castle/

http://www.101-things-to-do-on-a-rainy- … ildren.htm

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 06 May 14 3:04pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Big beaches such as at Perranporth & Bude (depending which end you are at) are good because they also go with a sizeable place for shops, caffs & other necessities (they also have public loos etc).

Newlyn, Looe & Mevvagissey are cracking if you want to watch fishing boats/fishermen (check the tides).....& all of them have a fish market..... & fearsomely good fish dishes on most menus!
There are masses of other smaller places for rockpooling & splotting about in the sea.....pick a place, any place (take a picnic!)
...& heaven preserve us...it might chuck it down with rain all day....so try the Blue Reef Aquarium in Newquay... www.bluereefaquarium.co.uk

If the kids are big enough to be mobile & biddable, Minnack down near Land's End is a special place to go......the kids can clamber about in the amphitheatre or go down to the stage area & pretend to act to an audience (you could go to see a show, but they might find it difficult to sit still long enough???).

If they are big enough (& keen enough), why not hire bikes & cycle the Camel Trail.... www.cameltrailcyclehire.co.uk

Paradise Park.... www.paradisepark.org.uk is entertaining for the kids, & can be combined with a trip into St Ives which offers a couple of beaches & a harbour for the kids, but a bit more for the adults. If you do Paradise Park during the day, you can stay late as you want in St Ives.....though a word of caution......parking isn't recommended in the lower town during the day...it's virtually impossible. Best bet is to park up on top of the cliff & do the 'park&ride' down into town, just check what time the last bus runs back up the hill, it's a long way on foot.

There are foodie stuff/places aplenty..........Rodda's Clotted Cream, Roskilly's Ice Cream, Saffron Bread, Ann's Pasties (all over the place, but we go down to the shop at the Lizard....coz we like the lighthouse )or Philp's Pasties (shops in Marazion, Praze-an-Beeble or Hayle), Cider Farms (www.healeyscyderfarm.co.uk as an example)....just a few options...........& if you get the chance, check out one of my fave places....'The Hidden Hut' on Porthcurnick Beach (just a tiny trundle along the coast path from Portscatho, or you approach by road from Trewithian (towards Rosevine), otherwise there's a crackin' place at Porthcurno, another at Poldhu, then there's Porthmeor Beach....oh, loads of them (but they are some of the best)

If there are any other ways I can help you....just ask.

Last edited by minerva (Tue 06 May 14 3:23pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 06 May 14 3:19pm

minerva

Forum champ

Oh....& if the weather is wet, but the sea is calm......there are any number of ferries & sea trips that are under cover...you can find longer or shorter trips, some stop off at a pub for lunch & you get the next one back....all sorts of things.

Ferries:
King Harry Ferry..... www.falriver.co.uk/getting-about/ferrie … arry-ferry
Polruan & other ferries.... http://www.looe.org/ferries.html
St Mawes ferry.... www.falriver.co.uk/getting-about/ferries/st-mawes-ferry
Fowey-Mevagissey ferry.... www.mevagissey-ferries.co.uk/‎
Padstow-Rock ferry....  www.padstow-harbour.co.uk/phc_ferry.html‎

...just a few........you do have to check tides & times of the year for the service though.

as for trips.....Falmouth area is one of the best for the kids.....lots to see & if you aim for the Helford Passage (Daphne du Maurier country) you don't have to deal with the choppiness of the sea proper.
www.falmouthpleasurecruisesltd.co.uk/he … ruise.html
www.helfordrivercruises.co.uk/‎

Last edited by minerva (Tue 06 May 14 3:24pm)

Likes (0)

#5 Wed 07 May 14 9:02am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

I would love to go to Tintagel, nevermind it  being for kids. smile   .   All those King Arthur books going up I guees.  smile

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#6 Wed 07 May 14 9:30am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Ashen wrote:

I would love to go to Tintagel, nevermind it  being for kids. smile   .   All those King Arthur books going up I guees.  smile

King Arthur is also well imbedded in Welsh stories too ?..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_mythology
You might also be interested in this Ashen
http://www.caerleon.net/history/arthur/page2.htm
Caerleon is close to where I live and school trips often go there but not so much for the association with King Arthur , more for studying 'The Romans' as it used to be a roman settlement .

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 08 May 14 8:48am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

Sounds good.. I liked Mary Stewarts books..  the crystal cave , hollow hills etc.. they had quite a bit of reference to roman influences.

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#8 Sat 17 May 14 8:55pm

minerva

Forum champ

Ashen wrote:

Sounds good.. I liked Mary Stewarts books..  the crystal cave , hollow hills etc.. they had quite a bit of reference to roman influences.

They are good books...I have them all.

Likes (0)