Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: what is your favourite street food

[

koukouvagia wrote:

Maree wrote:

In my experience street food and takeaway food are 2 different things.

If it's food that can be eaten other than at a table with cutlery, I define it as takeaway smile.

There's lots of street food happening here, too, and food trucks have been big here for more than five years.

I choose to eat healthily and I neither snack nor eat between meals.

Sorry, I have to agree with Maree here. If food purchased isn't eaten at a table, with cutlery & crockery....it's 'takeaway!

Likes (0)

#22 Tue 06 May 14 3:48pm

minerva

Forum champ

I am from a time past where eating food on the street was considered 'common', something that 'rough people' would do.

Eating from a roadside truck etc on the street isn't something I would ever think to do, although I might buy it & go sit in the park out of public view....but even then it would seem slightly naughty. I much more enjoy a good restaurant.

Also our weather doesn't encourage people to stand waiting in the street for food...or to stand there eating it either.....other than on the nicest days...& no-one made a fortune waiting for that to happen!

Likes (0)

#23 Tue 06 May 14 3:55pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I know what you mean Minnie, I was always told that eating in the street was rude and bad mannered when I was a child.

Now I will go to the street food vans and tents when I am away from home,London has some wonderful street food sellers , the food served is often excellent and as a vegetarian I often get a resonable choice .
The weather is another matter and I would not go sitting in a park eating a salad or anyother street food in the rain !

Cardiff has some catching up to do on the street food scene, there used to be a falafel van that was by the park near where I live but eventualy he got a small premisis to work from , its always packed , just like when he had his van there were always queues . he cooks the falafel as you wait .

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 06 May 14 4:01pm

minerva

Forum champ

koukouvagia wrote:

.....it just felt a little like you were criticizing street food as being unhealthy and nobody likes to be judged for what they like to eat.

There is a problem with this comment......

...........the thread clearly asks for a personal oninion.
In reading this from the beginning, I have to say in fairness, that's exactly what Maree has done. If she doesn't agree with any other person's views or preferences, indeed IF she had ventured the opinion that Street Food is the work of the Devil Incarnate, she would be perfectly entitled to do so.........under the terms of the title of the thread.

Being oversensitive to the opinions of others, being defensive about one's own choices & preferences, isn't useful here. The fora are about exchanges of views, the discussion of the differences that make us, us.......& if we are intelligent enough to do so, a place to debate the relative merits of any/every kind of topic, without becoming petty or personal about it.

I gain a lot of insight into people's choices, backgrounds & cultures from entering into such discussions.

Likes (0)

#25 Tue 06 May 14 4:18pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

I have to agree its all about personal preference as the thread suggests.

Likes (0)

#26 Tue 06 May 14 5:27pm

koukouvagia

Forum champ
From New York
Member since Fri 12 Dec 08

I don't think I'm oversensitive, maybe language here is a barrier.  If I was walking down the street with a friend and saw a food truck that I wanted to visit I would not feel comfortable if my friend said "no, I don't want to eat that because it's unhealthy."  That would make feel judged and insecure, and there's probably a better way to decline a food than to put a judgement on it.  Of course we all have opinions, and that happens to be mine.  Now I would be happy to share a meal with Maree any time! 

I live in NYC, I'm surrounded by concrete on a daily basis.  My idea of a happy lunch is grabbing a salad or a sandwich and heading to the park to eat it.  I need the fresh air, I don't want to sit at my desk if I don't have to.  And what about pic nics? I love putting a basket of cold meatballs, potato salad and fruit and running to the park with my family and sitting on the grass on a blanket.  Certainly I would not walk down the street eating a sandwich because it's unseemly and I don't like eating on the go.  But if you're at a street fair and everyone is holding a sausage, a corn dog, a cob of corn or an ice cream cone walking around and enjoying the fair then it's fitting and appropriate environment for that.  I had no idea that the members of this forum put a ban on eating outside, that can be.

Likes (0)

#27 Tue 06 May 14 5:38pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

Street food ....
but not really the type of street food we are talking about !

This was around a month ago in Paris ..Well sort of we bought the tomatoes in the market ,sat in the park  washed our hands the tomatoes with bottled water and made a tomato salad for lunch that we ate with a chunk of cornbread also bought from the market from an artisan baker . Oh and I had ( I'm ashamed to say ) bought a bottle if ready made salad dressing too . I always make my own but this was convinience to buy .

Last edited by mummza (Tue 06 May 14 5:42pm)

Likes (0)

#28 Tue 06 May 14 5:38pm

minerva

Forum champ

koukouvagia wrote:

I had no idea that the members of this forum put a ban on eating outside, that can be.

I don't suppose anyone has put a ban on eating outside............it's obviously a cultural thing.

No way is the right way, & no way is better than any other unless it suits your own personal preference.

I am a country girl..............if I go up to town for shopping etc, I wouldn't dream of eating outside, to me it's full of fumes & urban grime, two things I wouldn't associate with food............to me picnics are a rural wide-open-space pursuit, but that is my own take on it.
If you or indeed anyone else wants to eat on the street or off it, in town or out of it, it's ok by me.

As far as over-sensitivity goes, I think we all have our own areas of those, but I for one wouldn't venture an opinion if I wasn't prepared (& happy) for others to disagree with it.
I too am fairly blunt about the things I believe in, but that also means that I am prepared for others to be equally forthright. As long as spite & point-scoring doesn't get in the way, it can be very liberating to have preconceived notions challenged.

It takes all sorts to make a world.

Likes (0)

#29 Tue 06 May 14 5:41pm

minerva

Forum champ

mummza wrote:

Street food ! 

This was around a month ago in Paris ..Well sort of we bought the tomatoes in the market ,sat in the park  washed our hands the tomatoes with bottled water and made a tomato salad for lunch that we ate with a chunk of cornbread also bought from the market from an artisan baker . Oh and I had ( I'm ashamed to say ) bought a bottle if ready made salad dressing too 😳 I always make my own but this was convinience to buy .

Good for you!
Did you enjoy it?

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 06 May 14 5:44pm

mummza

Forum super champ
From The land of song.

very much Minnie, but I wasnt so keen on the bought salad dressing .

Likes (0)