forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 09 May 14 4:15pm

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

Celebrating 10 years of the forums! Share your favourite recipes

As some of you may know in June we will be celebrating 10 years of our forums.

To celebrate the occasion some of you guys have started sharing your favourite Jamie recipes.

This thread is for you to share your all time favourites from Jamie's books, shows and online recipes. Tell us about the recipe that takes you back to a memorable meal or one of Jamie's cake recipes from a special birthday, wedding or Christmas. We will be gathering together your recipe posts for a very special anniversary feature of your top recipes.

So, which recipe gets your vote?....

Likes (2)

#2 Sat 10 May 14 6:09am

matt.hanson.75436

From Washington State
Member since Thu 01 May 14

Re: Celebrating 10 years of the forums! Share your favourite recipes

My favorite Jamie show/recipe/food was his second episode of Jamie's American Road Trip where he went to Wyoming.  It's such beautiful country and the food especially is the type of food I love!  Rustic, simple, long and slow, delicious and amazing using nothing but some standard fare found in a market and some innovative, yet "primitive" cooking methods.  It took me back to my camping trips and the times when I would visit extended family in Montana.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 12 May 14 5:43am

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Hi Abby, i haven't been around much lately, but for several years i was a frequent contributor to the forum.
I just wanted to let you know, that this is a chat forum. That's all. It's not a venue for Jamie advertising, Jamie advocacy, Jamie proselytizing or Jamie preaching.
(it's ok if you need to have ads on the pages, but that is a sideline and not the reality of what a chat forum is.)
A chat forum is an organic entity which is given life by the contributions of its members, and all contributions must be encouraged. An administrator of a forum is there to keep people from getting too crazy, to keep things moving in a positive direction, but not to try to influence or mold the forum into some corporate vision of advertising or promotion.
99% of forum members are already big Jamie fans - of course, that's why we're here.
If you don't know, this forum used to be a very special place on the internet, chats were lively, busy, topics were wide-ranging and fascinating, and you know what? -an awful lot of the chat was about Jamie. (You know, we actually like the guy, buy his books and products, go to his restaurants, and we tell all our friends about what a cool guy Jamie is.) But things happened, some people happened, and now it's just a shadow of what it was. That is not doing Jamie any good.
Jamie's interests (including business goals) would be best served by allowing the forum to thrive by encouraging everyone to post everything they want, anywhere they want. Let it be an organic entity shaped by its contributors, and there's a chance it could again become a wonderful, lively place that would enhance Jamie's reputation with the general public and do so more than any advertising.
Having said that, there do need to be controls on expressions of prejudice, selfish and vindictive behaviour, and 'trolling', sorry to say but that's a big part of the Mod job.
But if you start from a position of being our friend and co-contributor, just one who has a bit more control and authority, there's a chance this forum can be brought back to life.
To celebrate the tenth anniversary of the forums, shouldn't the forum determine the best way? -for you to stipulate only Jamie recipes be shared or talked about is, sorry, shooting yourself in the foot. Unless everyone at the JO organisation just wants the forums to die away quietly, in which case carry on, you're on the path.

Last edited by mrpab (Tue 13 May 14 3:49am)

Likes (14)

#4 Mon 12 May 14 6:11am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Amen to that, MrP.

Good to see you again, btw smile.

Edit: Please see my post (#57) on the other thread re "The 10th Anniversary of the Forum".

Last edited by Maree (Mon 12 May 14 6:15am)

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (7)

#5 Mon 12 May 14 7:47am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

there is an italian motto "non svegliare il can che dorme" I have the suspect someone stepped into a sleeping black and white wise witty really great simpaticissimo very rappresentativo for us all CAT

I kept telling to myself it's not the moment or worth saying many of the things above and then suddenly that really happened, I feel I can be busy  with real things demanding attention around me now
grazie MrP smile

Last edited by Grandmadamada (Tue 13 May 14 8:58am)

Likes (6)

#6 Mon 12 May 14 7:55am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Yep, Mada smile.

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (4)

#7 Mon 12 May 14 9:35am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Hi mrp. Very eloquent.

Likes (4)

#8 Mon 12 May 14 2:59pm

Abby M

Occupation Community Manager
From Jamie Oliver HQ
Member since Sat 15 Mar 14

I agree that these forums are for natural discussion about topics that excite you and we wand to fuel nothing but organic conversation. We had some exciting ideas on how to celebrate the anniversary and sharing Jamie recipes was simply suggested as a topical theme in line your original idea of a community collection or recipes.

Please feel free to continue with the PDF collection of your own recipes. We in no way want to prevent you from putting this together and encourage recipe sharing in the forums and in the member’s recipe section. There are limitations on how we can support this on the site for you as any promoted recipe content must be managed carefully by our food and nutrition team, but I am happy to help where I can.

Our aim was to create an anniversary feature that looked back at the past 10 years and celebrated all you guys, our loyal users and to look forward to the next decade by putting in place positive changes and improvements and encouraging the wider community to engage in and enjoy the members area and the forums.

Likes (5)

#9 Mon 12 May 14 4:28pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

an anniversary feature sonds a fun idea too ,

There have been a several of members that many of us remember well who are no longer with us and are sadly now unable to post but should be remembered .

Tanya .....one of the original forum members , who was like an encyclopedia for recipes from not only Jame oliver but other chefs too .. Tanya seemed to know everything .
I still miss seeing that yellow avatar pop up on posts, she last posted here in 2009
and true to from her last post was helpful .

GeoffP  .... the Rev. Geoff , who joined the forum in July 2006 and last posted in 2009 ( gosh is it that long ago !) The Rev Geoff I remember fondly , he was pretty direct and often quite funny , he loved curry and had his Chimnea stollen from his garden once , I still cant look at a Chimnea without thinking about hin and how cross he was .

itsmarie ....who was young with small children ,whom she loved dearly ,when she was diagnosed with cancer , I till feel very sad about Marie , Marie joined the forum in August 2007 , her illness moved us all and we tried to raise money for her to have a new treatment , we made a pdf cookery book .  on the day of her funeral we all posted pictures of flowers for her as a tribute.

and more recently
Ms K  .....Karin loved everything pink , she joined the forum in January 2010  , Karin was always fun , she spread the colour pink across the forum  , we made pink things for her in her memory .

Likes (9)

#10 Mon 12 May 14 6:18pm

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I came because of the JO food revolution but stayed because of the forum community. I feel I get more advice and food guidance from the forum than I do JO.

Likes (4)